Equation Needed to Figure Resulting Kinetic Energy and Velocities from Fusion

In summary, to calculate the resulting velocities and kinetic energies from fusion, you can use the Law of Conservation of Momentum and the equation E = √(p^2c^2 + m^2c^4), where p is the momentum and m is the rest mass. This equation will help you find the velocities and kinetic energies of the resulting particles, such as helium-3 and the neutron.
PHYSICS!!!:-)
Equation Needed to Figure Resulting Kinetic Energy and Velocities from Fusion...

Homework Statement

Hey,
I am have the initial velocities and masses of nuclei involved in fusion, and am trying to figure out the resulting velocities and kinetic energies. Since this is an inelastic reaction, i can't use Kinetic energy, as it is not conserved. I have the conservation of momentum to use, because it is conserved, but to use it I still need to find velocity. What could i use to find this? Also, if you could clarify how to find the kinetic energies for each resulting particle, it would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

Deuterium+Deuterium--> Helium-3 + neutron
each deuteron has K.E. of 69.91 KeV, and a velocity of 2.59 x 10^6 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already decided that the Law of Conservation of Momentum would be a good equation to use, but i still need an equation to get velocity.

Note: This is not a Homework question, per se. It was simply moved here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well... the total energy [tex]E = \sqrt{p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4}[/tex] is conserved, you should be able to use that. You'll probably need to look up the rest masses of helium-3 and of the neutron but I don't think they'd be hard to find online.

1. What is the equation for calculating resulting kinetic energy from fusion?

The equation for calculating resulting kinetic energy from fusion is E = 0.5 * m * v^2, where E is the kinetic energy in joules, m is the mass in kilograms, and v is the velocity in meters per second.

2. How do you determine the velocity of particles in a fusion reaction?

The velocity of particles in a fusion reaction can be determined using the equation v = √(2 * E/m), where v is the velocity in meters per second, E is the kinetic energy in joules, and m is the mass in kilograms.

3. Can the resulting kinetic energy and velocities vary in a fusion reaction?

Yes, the resulting kinetic energy and velocities can vary in a fusion reaction depending on the type and amount of particles involved, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and other factors.

4. How does the resulting kinetic energy and velocities in a fusion reaction compare to those in a fission reaction?

The resulting kinetic energy and velocities in a fusion reaction are generally higher than those in a fission reaction because fusion involves the combining of light nuclei to form heavier nuclei, while fission involves the splitting of heavy nuclei into lighter nuclei.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the resulting kinetic energy and velocities in a fusion reaction?

Yes, other factors that can affect the resulting kinetic energy and velocities in a fusion reaction include the efficiency of the reaction, the amount of energy released as radiation, and any external forces or constraints on the reaction process.