Minimum polynomial and canonical form

In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimal polynomial and Jordan canonical form for a given matrix A and determining the choices of m(x) and P such that P^(-1)AP is in Jordan canonical form. The conversation also includes a request for guidance and clarification on the concept of minimal polynomials.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have no clue on how to do this problem because I missed the class where he covered this so could someone please walk me through it.

A = [2 2 -5; 2 7 2; -5 -15 -4] where ; means new column

p(x) = (x-3)(x-1)^2

1) what are the choices of m(x)
2) find the minimum polynomial
3) find the jordan canonical form
d) find P s.t. P^(-1)AP

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)m(x) = (x-3)(x-1)^2

and m(x) = (x-3)(x-1)

2) no clue.. m(x) = (x-3)(x-1)?

do i have to plug in A for x or something?

3) no clue

4) no clue

I'm really sorry for this half a**ed attempt but I really do not have any material on this stuff. I tried researching the minimum polynomial problem but none of the examples are similar to mine. I just need a push in the right direction please

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi squaremeplease,

You found that the possible minimal polynomials are m1(x) = (x-3)(x-1)² and m2(x) = (x-3)(x-1).

m2 has the smaller degree, so if m2(A) = 0, then m2 is the minimal polynomial. Otherwise, m1 is the minimal polynomial. So all you have to do is check if (A - 3)(A - 1) = 0.

(Do you know the definition of minimal polynomial?)

1. What is a minimum polynomial?

A minimum polynomial is the smallest degree polynomial that has the given value as a root. In other words, it is the polynomial of lowest degree with integer coefficients that can be used to express a given algebraic number as a root.

2. How is the minimum polynomial calculated?

The minimum polynomial can be calculated using various methods, such as the Euclidean algorithm, the Berlekamp algorithm, or the Cantor–Zassenhaus algorithm. These methods involve manipulating the coefficients of the given polynomial to obtain the smallest degree polynomial with the given value as a root.

3. What is the significance of the minimum polynomial?

The minimum polynomial is significant because it provides a way to represent a given algebraic number in a simpler and more compact form. It also helps in determining the degree and properties of the given number, which can be useful in further mathematical calculations and proofs.

4. What is a canonical form of a polynomial?

A canonical form of a polynomial is a unique representation of a polynomial in which the coefficients are in a specific order and the highest degree term has a coefficient of 1. This form is also known as the standard form or the reduced form of a polynomial.

5. How is the canonical form of a polynomial determined?

The canonical form of a polynomial can be determined by dividing all the coefficients of the given polynomial by the coefficient of the highest degree term. This results in a polynomial with a leading coefficient of 1, which is considered to be the canonical form.