Question about simple algebraic exponential property

In summary, the conversation discusses how the answer to a problem is different depending on the base that is used. The simplified answer is that the number is \frac{7m^5} {n}.
zell_D
I haven't been taking math for 3 years so I have a question about the following:

is 14m6n2 the same as 2mn x 7m5n

basically asking this because I am not sure whether or not I can factor the terms out like this

if this information is insufficient I can post the whole problem. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the same

[tex]14^{m^6 n^2} = (2 x 7)^{m^6 n^2} = 2^{m^6 n^2} 7^{m^6 n^2}[/tex]

ok so then i do not know how i would arrive at the right answer:

14m6n2 / 2mn

i know what the right answer is, and i know how they did it. but i can't seem to grasp the reasoning

PS: the answer is 7m5n

I was under the impression that you can only subtract the powers through the same base, but apparently i was wrong over here?

or are numbers different than variables?

They behave in the same manner, but you know more properties of them. A variable can be any number.

For example, "songoku" manipulated 14 to read (2*7). You probably already know that [tex](ab)^{n}=a^{n}b^{n}[/tex]. Thus, we can write:

[tex]\frac{14^{m^{6}n^{2}}}{2^{mn}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{(2*7)^{m^{6}n^{2}}}{2^{mn}}=\frac{2^{m^{6}n^{2}}*7^{m^{6}n^{2}}}{2^{mn}}}[/tex].

Is this equal to [tex]7^{m^{5}n}[/tex]?

i know with the same base i can reduce, but i don't get 7m5n

maybe you can post the whole question?

i did:
its

14m6n2 / 2mn

and the answer being 7m5n

If so, the answer is wrong

Just check it : let m = 1 and n = 2

[tex]\frac{14^{m^6 n^2}}{2^{mn}} = \frac{14^4}{2^2} = 9604[/tex]

[tex]7^{m^5n} = 7^2 = 49[/tex]

Last edited:
So it looks like you really have [tex]\frac{14m^6} {2mn}[/tex] and the simplified answer is [tex]\frac{7m^5} {n}[/tex]

This should be a lot easier for you to do than what you were doing.

only thing i can guess is that the book is wrong, the number substitution proves this

1. What is the simple algebraic exponential property?

The simple algebraic exponential property states that when multiplying two exponential expressions with the same base, the exponents can be added together. For example, 23 * 24 = 27.

2. How is the simple algebraic exponential property used in solving equations?

The simple algebraic exponential property can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving exponents. By adding the exponents of like bases, the expression can be written as a single term, making it easier to solve.

3. Can the simple algebraic exponential property be applied to negative exponents?

Yes, the simple algebraic exponential property can be applied to negative exponents as well. When multiplying two expressions with the same base but opposite exponents, the result will have a negative exponent. For example, 2-3 * 24 = 21 = 2.

4. Is the simple algebraic exponential property only applicable to multiplication?

No, the simple algebraic exponential property can also be applied to division. When dividing two exponential expressions with the same base, the exponents can be subtracted. For example, 25 / 22 = 23.

5. How is the simple algebraic exponential property related to the power rule?

The simple algebraic exponential property is a specific case of the power rule, which states that when raising a power to another power, the exponents can be multiplied. The simple algebraic exponential property applies when the bases of the expressions being multiplied are the same.