Find y'' by implicit differentiation

In summary, the problem is asking to find y'' by implicit differentiation. The attempted solution involved solving for y' and then taking the derivative again using the quotient rule and chain rule. However, the final answer did not match the answer in the back of the book. After making some corrections, the final answer for y'' was found to be -9/y^3(9x^2+y^2).
bobraymund

Homework Statement

Find y'' by implicit differentiation.

Homework Equations

_LARGE_9x2y29.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

_LARGE__fracddx9x2y2_fracddx9.gif

_LARGE_18x2y_fracddx0.gif

_LARGE_2y_fracddx-18x.gif

_LARGE__fracddx_frac-18x2y.gif

_LARGE__fracddx_frac-9xy.gif

I get to this point in the problem, which is I solved for y'. But then when I attempt to take y'', in other words take the derivative of my answer for y', I don't get the answer that is in the back of the book.

Many thanks in advance,
Bob

Attachments

• _LARGE_9x2y29.gif
    _LARGE_9x2y29.gif
    494 bytes · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
You went astray in the 2nd line and all following lines. The second line should be
18x + 2y dy/dx = 0 and your last line should be dy/dx = -9x/y. Now take the derivative again, keeping in mind that you need to use the quotient rule and the chain rule, in that order.

so y*y'=-9x

so take d/dx of both sides

for d/dx(y*y') use the product rule .

Bob, your last equation can be rewritten as; y'=-9xy^-1---->from here here you may get the y" by product rule and arrive at having y"=9/y^2(x-y)--->is this what you got in your book?

You can rewrite your last equation to: yy'=-9x---> from here try implicit differentiation.
You'll arrive at having: yy"+y'y'=-9; next, substitute the value of y'=-9x/y (previously derived); You'll arrive at having: y"=-9/y^3(9x^2+y^2).

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is expressed implicitly, meaning it is not in the form of y = f(x). Instead, it is in the form of an equation with both x and y variables.

2. Why is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to solve for y explicitly in terms of x. It allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to rearrange the equation for y.

3. How is implicit differentiation performed?

To perform implicit differentiation, we treat y as a function of x and use the chain rule to differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x. Then, we solve for y' (dy/dx) to find the derivative.

4. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is expressed explicitly, meaning it is in the form of y = f(x). Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, deals with functions that are expressed implicitly, in the form of an equation with both x and y variables.

5. What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to find rates of change, slopes of curves, and optimization problems. It is also used in higher level calculus to find higher derivatives and to solve equations involving multiple variables.