Physics audio and video lectures

In summary, the conversation is about the sharing of online resources for physics and math lectures. Some of the websites mentioned include Infocobuild, Vega Science Trust, ICTP, and MIT OpenCourseWare. The conversation also includes a discussion about specific physics lectures on topics such as nanotechnology, string theory, and space science.
seouldavid
The following site provides a good collection of links to audio/video courses and lectures in physics from educational institutions around the world.

http://www.infocobuild.com/education/audio-video-courses/physics/physics.html

The courses and lectures include general physics, classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, field theory, general relativity, special relativity and scientific computing.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot

I just found a huge collection of physics and math lectures at ICTP. The vid format is a little unusual, but it works. Some of the lecturers have a strong accent, but most are understandable.

http://www.ictp.tv/

ICTP is in Italy and is aimed at grad-level education for students from the developing world. They claim 4725 hours of lectures online...

thanks man

Sankaku, you have discovered the Mother Lode.

That is an outstanding resource. Thanks for posting.

For others who go there looking for lectures, there are more in the "archives" section.

Here are some of the math courses...

* Foundations of Mathematical Analysis
(recorded hours: 20)
* Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations
(recorded hours: 10)
* Calculus on Rn
* Complex Analysis
(recorded hours: 40)
* Topology
* Ordinary Differential Equations
* Real Analysis
* Abstract Algebra
* Algebraic Topology
* Differential Geometry
* Real Analysis II
* One Dimensional Dynamics
* Functional Analysis
* Functional Analysis II
* Partial Differential Equations
* Algebraic Geometry
* Linear Algebra
* Complex Analysis
(recorded hours: 42)

Physics... NOT a comprehensive list.

* Statistical Mechanics
(recorded hours: 78)
* Mathematical Methods
(recorded hours: 96)
* Classical Mechanics
* Quantum Mechanics
(recorded hours: 108)
* Advanced Electromagnetism
(recorded hours: 44)
* Advanced Quantum Mechanics
(recorded hours: 60)
* Solid State Physics
* Physics of the Earth System
(recorded hours: 30)
* Relativistic Quantum Mechanics
* Quantum Electrodynamics
(recorded hours: 74)
* Lie Groups and Lie Algebras
(recorded hours: 64)
* Introduction to Particle Physics
(recorded hours: 54)
* Quantum Field Theory
(recorded hours: 86)
* General Relativity
(recorded hours: 72)
* Susy Field Theory
(recorded hours: 30)
* Symmetries, Electron Bands and Phonons
(recorded hours: 48)
* Magnetism
(recorded hours: 28)
* Superconductivity
(recorded hours: 24)
* Mathematical Techniques
(recorded hours: 26)
* Advanced Quantum Mechanics
(recorded hours: 60)
* Advanced Statistical Mechanics
(recorded hours: 26)
* Many-Body Physics
(recorded hours: 44)
* Biological Physics
(recorded hours: 22)

thanks for sharing this with us. i also have some video tutorials like this .

Eric McClean said:
thanks for sharing this with us. i also have some video tutorials like this .

Link?

http://hubblesite.org/about_us/public_talks/

This provides free access to public lectures at the Space Telescope Science Institute. The lectures are presented in videos and PDF files.

I'm not sure if these have been posted before, though I wouldn't be surprised if they have been. Regardless, below is a link (assuming it works) to several videos of lectures Feynman gave at Cornell in the Fall of 1964. They are well-worth the hours spent watching. Enjoy...

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html#data=3|||

David,

I have been meaning to ask if you are the person responsible for the infocobuild site? I think it is probably the best index of free lecture videos on the net. I like the way it has been set up.

If so, keep up the good work!

Such as agood collection of links to audio/video courses and lectures in physics from educational institutions.

http://documentaries-plus.blogspot.com/2010/08/mechanical-universe.html [Broken]

This contains a list of introductory physics lectures from CalTech, making complex concepts of physics more easy-to-understand by using computer graphics, drama to explain historical events etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems like a nice E&M series. (and some other stuff) They are in the ECE folder. It starts with electrostatics and culminates in a graduate level course, 740.

http://mediasite.engr.wisc.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=31c0b7c4-3a0f-410b-bacf-0c238380112f [Broken]

The prof seems very good. Very direct and clear. Maybe not as dramatic and entertaining as the Lewin MIT series, but possibly more complete and "professional". I don't prefer the format, which is "mediasite" with video and .jpg combined, but I guess it has it's benefits.

It's a PITA to download them, but it can be done... Since I know there are a lot of people who do, here is how I did it.

run a packet sniffer like "url snooper"
copy the url (it is the playback ticket)
open a program like "SDP multimedia"
paste the url in the appropriate place and "save" the .WMV file

THEN... to get the JPG's

using firefox, get the Batchdownload addon
right click in the mediasite presentation picture area and select batch download
go down to 'base url' and find the four numbers that designate the pic number and replace with the wildcard '(*)' (don't use the ' part)
Enter the range... you can see how many pics are in this particular lecture by looking at the top of the pic in the border. ( '3 of 322' , for example.)
set wildcard bytes to 4
set download folder and hit 'Start'

After all that, pour yourself a cold one, and sit back and admire yourself for your dedication to physics. Or at least to grabbing digital media on the internets.

What text are they using for that course? Jackson?

http://bethe.cornell.edu/index.html

This contains lectures on quantum theory by theoretical physicist Hans Bethe. It consists of three lectures focusing on the historical aspects of quantum theory.

A set of public lectures from Northwestern University:

http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/events/public.html [Broken]

http://www.learner.org/resources/series213.html

This lecture set includes various topics in modern physics such as dark matter, string theory, particle physics and biophysics.

1. What is the purpose of physics audio and video lectures?

Physics audio and video lectures are designed to help students learn and understand the fundamental concepts and principles of physics through visual and auditory means. They provide an interactive and engaging way for students to grasp complex topics and apply them to real-world situations.

2. How do physics audio and video lectures differ from traditional lectures?

Unlike traditional lectures, physics audio and video lectures incorporate visual aids, animations, and demonstrations to help students better visualize and understand abstract concepts. They also allow students to pause, rewind, and review the material at their own pace, making it more accessible for different learning styles.

3. Are physics audio and video lectures suitable for all levels of education?

Yes, physics audio and video lectures can be beneficial for students at all levels of education, from high school to graduate school. They can also be helpful for self-study and review for professionals in the field of physics.

4. Can physics audio and video lectures replace traditional classroom instruction?

While physics audio and video lectures can be a valuable supplement to traditional classroom instruction, they cannot replace the role of a teacher. The interactive and personalized feedback provided by a teacher is crucial for students to fully grasp and apply the concepts learned in physics.

5. How can I access physics audio and video lectures?

Physics audio and video lectures can be accessed through various online platforms, such as educational websites, YouTube channels, and online learning platforms. They may also be available through university or school websites for enrolled students.