How to show a set has measure zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with showing that a few sets in Rn have measure zero using countable covers with total volume less than epsilon. The only general method is mentioned and the specific set Rn-1 x {0} is shown to have measure zero using epsilon neighborhoods. Alternative methods are also suggested, including using countable unions and a better understanding of the problem.
Matthollyw00d
I'm not completely familiar with measures yet, but am trying to be. I'm trying to show a that a few sets in Rn have measure zero and am having difficulty showing this using countable covers with a total volume less than [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Is there an easier way to show that a set has measure zero? If it's needed, I could give the problems that I'm working with. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The method you mention is really the only general one. If you give the specific sets you're working with I may be able to give a simpler method in that specific situation.

Show that Rn-1 x {0} has measure zero in Rn.

This is one of the ones I'm working on.

Matthollyw00d said:
Show that Rn-1 x {0} has measure zero in Rn.

This is one of the ones I'm working on.

This one is easy using epsilon neighborhoods.

I'll expand on wofsy's comment a bit. You do use the open cover formulation on this one. Let [tex]\{ q_k \}_{ k = 1 }^\infty[/tex] be an enumeration of [tex]\mathbb{Q} \times \{ 0 \}[/tex]. Show that if [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex], [tex]\left \{ ( q_k - \frac{ 1 }{ 2 }, q_k + \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } ) \times ( -\varepsilon\ 2^{ - ( k + 1 ) }, \varepsilon\ 2^{ - ( k + 1 ) } ) \right \}_{ k = 1 }^\infty [/tex] is an open cover of [tex]\mathbb{ R } \times \{ 0 \}[/tex] with total measure less than or equal to [tex]\varepsilon[/tex].

EDIT: This proof works for showing that [tex]\mathbb{ R } \times \{ 0 \} \subset \mathbb{ R }^2[/tex] has measure zero. The [tex]n > 2[/tex] case is a straightforward generalization.

The way I did it earlier used
[tex]\bigcup[/tex]n=1[tex]\infty[/tex] [-n,n]n-1x{0} which is a countable cover of Rn-1x{0}. Then using the fact that a countable union of sets of measure zero also has measure zero, you can show that each set has measure zero and the rest follows. After reading a bit on it today, I feel like I have a much better understanding of it now.

That works too.

1. What is "measure zero"?

Measure zero is a concept in mathematics that describes the size or extent of a set. A set is said to have measure zero if its size or extent is considered to be negligible, or "zero".

2. How is the measure of a set determined?

The measure of a set is determined using a mathematical tool called a measure function. This function assigns a numerical value to each set, representing its size or extent.

3. What does it mean for a set to have measure zero?

If a set has measure zero, it means that its size or extent is considered to be negligible or "zero" in comparison to other sets. In other words, the set has little or no "volume" or "area".

4. How can you prove that a set has measure zero?

To prove that a set has measure zero, you can use the definition of a measure function and show that the numerical value assigned to the set is equal to zero. You can also use other mathematical techniques, such as covering arguments or the Lebesgue criterion, to prove that a set has measure zero.

5. What are some examples of sets with measure zero?

Some common examples of sets with measure zero include single points, straight lines, and planes in higher dimensions. Other examples include fractals, Cantor sets, and sets with infinitely many "holes" or "gaps".