Solving Mystery of Missing Dd Quark Pair & Its Equation

• Thread starter Rhizomorph
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a down/anti-down (Dd) quark pair and the closest thing found is the neutral pi meson, which is a superposition of Uu and Dd. The equation Uu+Dd/Sqrt(2) is explained as a combination of wavefunctions in quantum mechanics. The reason for the existence of only Uu and Dd mesons in normal conditions is due to the strong force getting stronger at smaller energy scales. The neutral pi meson is composed of a superposition of Uu and Dd and cannot be distinguished from a Uu or Dd meson. The difference between Ss and Dd mesons is that Ss have opposite strangeness
Rhizomorph
I've searched all over for a down/anti-down (Dd) quark pair but the closest thing I can find is the neutral Pi meson, which is: (Uu + Dd)/Sqrt(2)

I have two questions: 1) Can someone explain that equation - neither the numerator nor the denominator makes any sense to me. What does Uu+Dd equal? They are particles not numbers, right? And Sqrt(2)...WTF? I thought mesons were made up of 2 quarks, not 2 quarks plus 2 others plus a mathematical expression. It makes as much sense as saying a proton is made up of UUD+5 ! Can someone shed some light on this? 2) If all the other quarks can pair with their respective anti-quarks, then why does the Dd pair not exists alone?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uu refers to the wavefunctions of an U-quark combined with an u-quark. The combination in QM is implemented by multiplying the wavefunctions of each constituent quark. The fact that there is a squareroot 2 has to do with normalization, so we are sure that the probability-amplitude of the total pair is 1.

In normal conditions (i mean the groundstate) all quarks have to be paired to form a meson or they form triplets which are the baryons. the reason for this is that the strong force gets "stronger" when the energy-scale of the quarks gets small. if you were to search for solo-quarks, they would have to be highly energetic. One can "find" such solo-quarks in accelerator-experiments. At high energies all known quarks can be found alone. This is called the asymptotic freedom of the strong force.

The neutral pi meson is a superposition that is equal parts Uu and Dd. The reason? A Uu meson and a Dd meson are identical in every respect to the outside world. There is no way to tell a Uu from a Dd, thus they are the same particle. The neutral pi meson is a superposition of both possible configurations.

- Warren

Likes yavenchik
Thank you for your reply. But that still doesn't reallt clarify for me what the neutral Pi meson is composed of. Does it contain all 4 quarks: DdUu? If so, then I'm still searching for a meson that is just Dd. I've seen Cc, Ss, etc, and if the only difference between a Strange and a Down quark is the mass, then why can't a Dd meson be formed in the same way that a Ss meson can?

To the extent the eightfold way is a good symmetry, there are no u(ubar) or ddbar pseudoscalar mesons.

The reason for this is how isospin adds (in much the same way as spin).

Take two particles with isospin = 1/2. You get an isospin triplet and an isosinglet.

the |1 0 > states are (uu - dd)/sqrt2
and an isosinglet | 0 0 > = (uu + dd)/sqrt2

The technicalities of this is part of group theory, and looking this up in Clebsch Gordon tables.

I like to think of these things as fields that are waving in such a way that they are not pure states. If you could decompose the neutral pi meson somehow, half the time you'd get uubar, the other half ddbar.

Last edited:
Likes yavenchik
Ohhh... Ok, now I'm getting it.

Chroot - I replied before I saw your post. I see what your saying.

Now my questions is, how come there is no way to distinguish between the Dd and Uu, but we can distinguish between the Ss, right? If the D and the U have unique quantum numbers, do we not get unique answers when computing those numbers?

We can distinguish between the Ss,they have opposite strangeness.
We can not say UUbar is identical to DDbar. We can say : in the (ud) plane, the physical (observable) vectors are NOT the basis u and d. They are another basis, which is the original u and d basis rotated with an angle pi/4.

Last edited:
Isn't the muon a quark-anti quark pair?

No ! It is a lepton, such as the electron.

Mk, half a century ago, the muon was mistaken by the pion, but it took only a few years to notice the error. And it was years before the quark theory.

hmmm... ok, thanks

1. What is the missing Dd quark pair and why is it important to solve this mystery?

The missing Dd quark pair refers to a subatomic particle that is believed to exist but has not yet been discovered. It is important to solve this mystery because the existence of this particle could help explain some fundamental questions about the structure of matter and the behavior of the universe.

2. How are scientists attempting to solve this mystery?

Scientists are using a combination of theoretical models, simulations, and experimental data to try and understand the behavior of subatomic particles and the forces that govern them. They are also using advanced particle accelerators to study the collisions of particles and look for evidence of the missing Dd quark pair.

3. What are some potential implications of discovering the missing Dd quark pair?

If the missing Dd quark pair is discovered, it could provide evidence for new theories about the fundamental nature of matter and the forces that govern it. It could also have practical applications in fields such as energy production and quantum computing.

4. What challenges do scientists face in solving this mystery?

The missing Dd quark pair is a complex and elusive particle, making it difficult to study and detect. Scientists also face challenges in obtaining funding and resources for their research, as well as collaborating and sharing data with other researchers in the field.

5. How does the equation for the missing Dd quark pair fit into this mystery?

The equation for the missing Dd quark pair is a theoretical model that helps scientists understand the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. By refining this equation and testing it against experimental data, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the missing Dd quark pair and potentially discover its existence.