Continuous bounded function - analysis

In summary, the given statement proves that if a continuous bounded function on a closed interval is bounded and attains its bounds, then there exists an x0 in R such that f(x) \geq f(x0) for all x in R. This is achieved by considering a closed bounded interval [a, b] in R, using the assumed theorem to show that f is bounded and attains its bounds on this interval, and then using the definition of an infimum to deduce that f(x) \geq f(x0) for all x in R. However, to address the issue of f going to infinity, we can take any real number "a" and use the fact that f goes to infinity to show that
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Assume the theorem that a continuous bounded function on a closed interval is bounded and attains its bounds.
Prove that if f: R -> R is continuous and tends to +[tex]\infty[/tex] as x tends to +/- [tex]\infty[/tex] then there exists an x0 in R such that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I understand the basic idea behind this but I'm not sure that my proof is rigorous enough.

R is not closed or bounded, however as x tends to +/- infinity f(x) tends to infinity, so won't affect its minimum value (do I need to prove this? If so, how?)

So to consider the minimum value of f we can consider a closed bounded interval [a,b] a,b in R

By the assumed theorem, f is bounded on this interval and attains its bounds, so there exists an x0 in [a,b] such that f(x0) = inf f(x) in the interval [a,b]

By definition of an infimum we then know that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kate2010 said:

Homework Statement

Assume the theorem that a continuous bounded function on a closed interval is bounded and attains its bounds.
Prove that if f: R -> R is continuous and tends to +[tex]\infty[/tex] as x tends to +/- [tex]\infty[/tex] then there exists an x0 in R such that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.

Homework Equations

I think I understand the basic idea behind this but I'm not sure that my proof is rigorous enough.

R is not closed or bounded, however as x tends to +/- infinity f(x) tends to infinity, so won't affect its minimum value (do I need to prove this? If so, how?)

So to consider the minimum value of f we can consider a closed bounded interval [a,b] a,b in R

By the assumed theorem, f is bounded on this interval and attains its bounds, so there exists an x0 in [a,b] such that f(x0) = inf f(x) in the interval [a,b]

By definition of an infimum we then know that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.
There is a fundamental problem with your proof. You have taken x0 such that [itex]f(x)\ge f(x_0)[/itex] in [a, b]. But [a, b] is just "some" interval. There is no reason to think that f does not have smaller values off [a,b]. Also notice that you have NOT used the fact that f goes to infinity.

But that's easily fixed. Take "a" to be any real number. Since f goes to infinity as x goes to either infinity or negative infinity, there exist a positive number, N, such that if x> N or x< -N, f(x)> f(a). NOW use your proof on the interval [-N, N].

Kate2010 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have no idea what you even mean by that!

There is a fundamental problem with your proof. You have taken x0 such that [itex]f(x)\ge f(x_0)[/itex] in [a, b]. But [a, b] is just "some" interval. There is no reason to think that f does not have smaller values off [a,b]. Also notice that you have NOT used the fact that f goes to infinity.

But that's easily fixed. Take "a" to be any real number. Since f goes to infinity as x goes to either infinity or negative infinity, there exist a positive number, N, such that if x> N or x< -N, f(x)> f(a). NOW use your proof on the interval [-N, N].

1. What is a continuous bounded function?

A continuous bounded function is a mathematical function that has both a continuous domain and a bounded range. This means that the function is defined for all values within a certain interval and that the output values of the function are limited and do not approach infinity.

2. What is the importance of continuous bounded functions in analysis?

Continuous bounded functions are important in analysis because they can be used to model real-world phenomena and are relatively easy to work with mathematically. They also have many useful properties, such as being integrable and having a well-defined limit at every point.

3. How is a continuous bounded function different from a discontinuous function?

A continuous bounded function is different from a discontinuous function in that it is defined for all values within a certain interval and has a finite range, while a discontinuous function may have gaps or jumps in its graph and may have an infinite range.

4. Can a function be continuous and bounded but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous and bounded but not differentiable. For example, the absolute value function is continuous and bounded, but not differentiable at the point where x = 0.

5. How are continuous bounded functions used in practical applications?

Continuous bounded functions are used in many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function within a given interval.