Generating Random Numbers in C++

In summary, to generate a random number in C++, you can use the rand() function from the cstdlib library, and to generate a random number within a specific range, you can use the formula rand() % (max - min + 1) + min or the uniform_int_distribution class. To generate a random floating-point number, you can type cast the result of rand() or use the uniform_real_distribution class. To generate a random string, you can use the rand() function with a loop or the uniform_int_distribution class. The rand() function is not truly random, but can be sufficiently random for most applications. For a higher level of randomness, you can use the random_device class from the random library.
chmate
Hello!

I've been trying to create an algorithm which picks a number randomly from array. P.S i have an array like A={1,4,-1,3,-7,2,-14} and I want to pick a number randomly from array.

Any idea?

Thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org
Why don't you use rand() to draw index?

Hi borek, can you show me an example?

Thank you.

Hello!

I've solved my problem. I've been looking for this part of code:

srand(time(NULL));
random = arr[rand() % (sizeof(arr) / sizeof(arr[0]))];

Thank you.

Hello there!

Generating random numbers in C++ can be achieved using the standard library function "rand()" which generates a pseudo-random number. To pick a random number from an array, you can use the "rand()" function to generate a random index within the size of your array and then access the element at that index. For example, you can use the "rand() % size" to generate a random index within the range of your array size and then access the element at that index using A[index]. This will give you a random number from your array. However, keep in mind that this method may not always produce truly random numbers and may require further tweaking for more precise results. I hope this helps!

1. How do I generate a random number in C++?

To generate a random number in C++, you can use the rand() function from the cstdlib library. This function will generate a random integer between 0 and RAND_MAX, which is a constant defined in the library. To get a different random number each time, you can use the srand() function to seed the random number generator with a different value.

2. How do I generate a random number within a specific range in C++?

To generate a random number within a specific range, you can use the formula rand() % (max - min + 1) + min, where max is the maximum value and min is the minimum value. This will generate a random number between min and max, inclusive. You can also use the uniform_int_distribution class from the random library to generate a random number within a specific range.

3. How can I generate a random floating-point number in C++?

To generate a random floating-point number in C++, you can use the rand() function along with type casting to convert the random integer into a floating-point number. For example, static_cast<float>(rand()) / RAND_MAX will generate a random float between 0 and 1. You can also use the uniform_real_distribution class from the random library to generate a random floating-point number within a specific range.

4. How do I generate a random string in C++?

To generate a random string in C++, you can use the rand() function along with a loop to generate a random number for each character in the string. You can also use the uniform_int_distribution class to generate a random ASCII character and add it to the string. Alternatively, you can use the random_device class from the random library to generate a string of random numbers and then convert them to characters.

5. Is the rand() function truly random?

The rand() function is not truly random, as it is based on a deterministic algorithm. However, it can produce a sufficiently random sequence of numbers for most applications. If you need a higher level of randomness, you can use the random_device class from the random library, which generates random numbers based on a hardware source, making them more unpredictable.