Assessing Modulation Index in AM Demodulation: Techniques and Limitations

• Thread starter watertreader
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses AM demodulation techniques, specifically synchronous detection and envelope detection. The speaker also proposes a method for finding the modulation index and asks for feedback on its effectiveness. The proposed method involves using FFT or subtracting the maximum and minimum signal values. The speaker acknowledges that these techniques may have limitations in terms of frequency and distortion.
watertreader
hi,

Just want to have some comments on the AM Demodulation steps that I have taken.

A AM modulated signal is given by AM(t) = DC + m cos(wt)

For the general demodulation technique, I understand there is two general form - (i) Synchronous Detection whereby you mix the input wave with an local oscillator signal or in more advance form by using a 90 degree phase delay signal to get the quadrature as well (ii) Envelope detector - wherby we will just detect the envelope of the input with an diode and cap.

Now if we would just want to have the knowledge of the modulation index instead of recovering the whole wave. I am thinking of the following method

1) compute the FFT of the signal and measure the spectrum height at the modulation frequency (as a representative value of modulation)
Or
2) Compute the difference between the maximum and minimum signal off the signal at time axis

Would this be appropriate? I can only think of the problems would be that both techniques usage would be restricted to low frequency and low distortion cases.

Like to have your comments

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Technically, I am trying to find M only. I am just wondering if my technique has any other drawbacks or whether would it be sufficient

1) Using FFT method essentially separate the A and M. A is in the DC while M or rather M/2 is sited with the modulated signal frequency

2) Using the subtraction method, effectively I cancel out A... What is left is the M index...

That is assuming the condition are pretty ideal.

1. What is AM demodulation and how does it work?

AM demodulation is a process that extracts the original information or signal from an amplitude modulated (AM) carrier wave. It works by detecting and separating the changes in amplitude of the carrier wave, which correspond to the original signal.

2. What are the different types of AM demodulation?

There are several types of AM demodulation, including envelope detection, synchronous detection, and coherent detection. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and is used in different applications.

3. Why is AM demodulation important?

AM demodulation is important because it allows us to recover the original information or signal from an AM carrier wave, which is used in many forms of communication, such as radio broadcasting and television transmission.

4. What are the common challenges in AM demodulation?

One of the common challenges in AM demodulation is interference from other signals and noise, which can distort the original signal and make it difficult to extract. Another challenge is maintaining the fidelity of the original signal, especially if it is a complex signal with multiple components.

5. How is AM demodulation used in practical applications?

AM demodulation is used in a variety of practical applications, including radio and television broadcasting, radar systems, and medical devices. It is also used in data communication systems, such as modems, and in instrumentation and measurement systems.