What makes 'Sunshine' a must-watch movie?

• Thread starter Kevin_Axion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: Donnie Darko, etc.In summary, the movie Sunshine is about a family that is torn by tradition and a man who is consumed by love. The story is weak, but the special effects are fantastic.
Kevin_Axion
I saw the movie Sunshine, directed by Danny Boyle in 2007 and I wasn't extremely impressed (mostly due to my ignorance and immaturity) but I watched it today just out of pure fascination of how the movie intertwines fate, science, art, and humanity into one beautiful journey and I absolutely loved it. If you haven't seen it, go and get it (not at Blockbuster they just went bankrupt) the movie is absolutely mesmerizing. Here is a trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

the whole premise of the movie is complete nonsense and for that reason I don't think I could ever stand to watch it.

I thought the premise was to get laid.. we talking about the same movie?

In a time of revolution, in a family torn by tradition, one man was consumed by love.

Ah I see.. I am of course talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145503/"

Last edited by a moderator:

Movies that appear nonsensical usually hold a strain of uniqueness, to me that is a quality of a great movie. For instance Donnie Darko and The Prestige were great movies about a Schizophrenic and two competing magicians.

I thought Sunshine was beautifully done. The story was weak, but the special effects were fantastic.

Last edited:

I watched a bit of it on TV and all I really remember was watching one of the final scenes and thinking "wtf is going on?" (due to the way they edited it, I think, it was really hard to tell what was happening...unless I'm confusing it with another movie)

Anyways, who needs special effects when you can get actual images of the sun

JaWiB said:
Anyways, who needs special effects when you can get actual images of the sun

Well, I guess one would have to have an appreciation for the artistic use of imagery.

Normally I could care less about special effects, but Sunshine was truly a work of art, imo.

i remember watching this, but i think i must have missed the ending. kinda meh, ok but not great.

fwiw, i just loooove strange films, but by strange i mean Being John Malkovitch

What is the premise of the movie Sunshine?

The movie Sunshine is a science fiction film that follows a team of astronauts on a dangerous mission to reignite the dying sun with a massive nuclear bomb.

Who directed the movie Sunshine?

The movie was directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland.

Who stars in the movie Sunshine?

The main cast includes Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne, Chris Evans, and Michelle Yeoh.

Was the movie Sunshine scientifically accurate?

While the movie does take some creative liberties, overall it is considered to be one of the more scientifically accurate science fiction films. The filmmakers consulted with experts and NASA scientists to ensure the accuracy of the space mission and technology portrayed in the movie.

What was the critical reception of the movie Sunshine?

The movie received generally positive reviews, with praise for its visuals, tension-filled plot, and performances. However, some critics felt that the third act of the movie strayed too far from its initial premise.