Watch Dan? I’d rather not

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary, "Watch Dan? I'd rather not" is a common phrase used as a humorous response to being asked to do something one doesn't want to do. It typically refers to someone who is not well-liked or interesting, and its origin is believed to be from the internet. Depending on the context, it can be interpreted as rude or lighthearted.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the most part, I quit watching the evening news (as produced by the major networks) several years ago. The trigger for me was when one of the network anchors started passing off reports that could be completed in approximately the time it took to retrieve a coke from the refrigerator as "in-depth" coverage. [continued]

http://www.webcommentary.com/asp/ShowArticle.asp?id=simonl&date=040926 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I only watch the News when I want something to make fun of, that's all CNN is good for really.

edit: i like this guy

Last edited:

I completely understand your sentiment about not wanting to watch Dan or the evening news from major networks. It's disheartening how often news programs prioritize sensationalism and quick sound bites over truly in-depth coverage. It's a shame that a news anchor would try to pass off a short report as in-depth coverage, and it's understandable that it would be a trigger for you to stop watching.

It's important for news consumers to be critical and discerning of the content they are consuming, and it seems like you have made a conscious decision to do so by quitting the evening news. With the rise of social media and alternative news sources, it's becoming easier to find more in-depth and well-researched coverage of current events. It's also important for news networks to take responsibility and strive for more meaningful and thorough reporting instead of chasing ratings.

Thank you for sharing your perspective and reminding us to be mindful of the content we consume. It's important to stay informed, but it's equally important to be selective about the sources we rely on for our news.

1. What does "Watch Dan? I'd rather not" mean?

The phrase "Watch Dan? I'd rather not" is often used as a humorous response to being asked to do something that one doesn't want to do. It implies a reluctance or disinterest in the activity.

2. Who is "Dan" in "Watch Dan? I'd rather not"?

Dan is typically a generic name used in place of a specific person. It could refer to anyone, but in this phrase, it is often used to refer to someone who is not well-liked or someone who is known for being boring or uninteresting.

3. Is "Watch Dan? I'd rather not" a common phrase?

Yes, "Watch Dan? I'd rather not" is a common phrase, especially in informal or comedic contexts. It may also be used in a sarcastic manner.

4. What is the origin of the phrase "Watch Dan? I'd rather not"?

The origin of the phrase is not clear, but it is believed to have originated as a joke or meme on the internet. It has since become a popular catchphrase and is often used in social media posts and online discussions.

5. Can "Watch Dan? I'd rather not" be interpreted as rude?

It depends on the context and tone in which it is used. In some situations, it may come across as rude or dismissive, while in others, it may be seen as a lighthearted and humorous response. It is important to consider the audience and the tone of the conversation before using this phrase.