How would i figure this out? (probability of coin flips)

• Thread starter LogicX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary: The probability of getting 800,000 heads in 1,000,000 flips of a fair coin is \frac{1000000!}{80000!20000! (2^{100000})}Are you talking about exactly 800,000 or at least 800,000?At least I guess.The probability of getting 800,000 heads in 1,000,000 flips of a fair coin is \frac{1000000!}{80000!20000! (2^{100000})} .
LogicX
So on a different forum I go to someone said something about flipping a coin 1 million times, and that the probability of it landing on heads 800,000 times is small, but possible. I want to come of with some mindblowing way of telling them that no, it is not realistically possible.

So what is the probability of that happening, and had you started flipping when the universe began, 1 flip a second, would you likely have achieved that result yet (6.5 billion years= 2.05x10^17 seconds)? I'm guessing not, but it would interesting to figure out.

I haven't done any probability since high school so I'm kind of clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability of getting 800,000 heads in 1,000,000 flips of a fair coin is
[tex]\frac{1000000!}{80000!20000! (2^{100000})}[/tex]

Are you talking about exactly 800,000 or at least 800,000?

At least I guess.

Probability of 800000+ heads is:

((1/2)^1000000)* [sigma ((1000000!/(800000+n)!(200000-n)!))]

sum for n=0 to 200000, this will sum all probabilities from 8000000 to 1000000 heads.

LogicX said:
At least I guess.

For numbers of this magnitude the best way to do the probability calculation would be to use the normal approximation.

statdad said:
For numbers of this magnitude the best way to do the probability calculation would be to use the normal approximation.

To follow up on this: http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/algtrig/ATS7/BLesson3.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth noting... the closer the probability of an event that has a binomial or Poisson distribution gets to 50%, the closer the normal distribution comes to the binomial distribution. Since the probability of heads in a coin toss is 50%, that means that heads are normally distributed.

LogicX said:
So on a different forum I go to someone said something about flipping a coin 1 million times, and that the probability of it landing on heads 800,000 times is small, but possible. I want to come of with some mindblowing way of telling them that no, it is not realistically possible.
Well, one thing you will have to do is explain what you mean by "realistically possible". Even if something has a probability of 0.000000000001, it is certainly possible that it will occur on the first trial.

So what is the probability of that happening, and had you started flipping when the universe began, 1 flip a second, would you likely have achieved that result yet (6.5 billion years= 2.05x10^17 seconds)? I'm guessing not, but it would interesting to figure out.

I haven't done any probability since high school so I'm kind of clueless.

1. What is the probability of getting heads on a single coin flip?

The probability of getting heads on a single coin flip is 50%, assuming the coin is fair and has equal chances of landing on heads or tails.

2. What is the probability of getting a specific sequence of heads and tails in multiple coin flips?

The probability of getting a specific sequence of heads and tails in multiple coin flips is determined by multiplying the individual probabilities of each outcome. For example, the probability of getting two heads in a row is 50% x 50% = 25%.

3. How many coin flips should I do to get an accurate estimate of the probability?

The number of coin flips needed to get an accurate estimate of the probability depends on the desired level of accuracy and confidence. Generally, the more coin flips you do, the closer your estimate will be to the true probability.

4. What is the relationship between the number of heads and tails in multiple coin flips?

The relationship between the number of heads and tails in multiple coin flips follows a binomial distribution. This means that as the number of coin flips increases, the ratio of heads to tails will approach 1:1.

5. How can I calculate the probability of a specific outcome in multiple coin flips?

To calculate the probability of a specific outcome in multiple coin flips, you can use the binomial probability formula: P(x) = nCx * p^x * q^(n-x), where n is the total number of coin flips, x is the number of desired outcomes, and p and q are the probabilities of the desired and opposite outcomes, respectively.