What is the main cause of the Gyroscope Torque Confusion?

In summary, this is more academic assistance than pure discussion on precession. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance.
DocZaius
This is not a homework question, but from having read the rules in the following thread, it looks like this is more academic assistance than pure discussion:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance.

So anyhow, I am having real trouble with precession. I know that net torque is equal to the derivative of angular momentum with respect to time.

If you put a weight at a distance from the axis of a non-spinning wheel, it tilts down. If you do the same at a distance of a spinning wheel, it rotates at a constant angular velocity. Attached is a picture trying to illustrate my confusion.

I just can't understand why the same torque with the same dL/dt results in completely different looking phenomena. Of course I know that the initial conditions are different in each case. But I don't understand what it is about their differences that leads to any accelerating tilting gyroscope to a constantly spinning gyroscope. Any help would be appreciated. The Wikipedia page did not help me enough.

Attachments

• precession confusion.jpg
    precession confusion.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DocZaius! :smile:
DocZaius said:
If you put a weight at a distance from the axis of a non-spinning wheel, it tilts down. If you do the same at a distance of a spinning wheel, it rotates at a constant angular velocity.

I just can't understand why the same torque with the same dL/dt results in completely different looking phenomena.

Your terminology of "tilting down" is confusing you.

The wheel doesn't "tilt down", it rotates horizontally.

If the wheel is spinning, then its angular momentum vector is along its axis … generally at an angle below the horizontal … to make that vector rotate about a vertical axis, we need a perpendicular horizontal torque (similar to centripetal acceleration) … that torque is the horizontal (not "down" :wink:) torque from the weight, if the weight is the correct size. :smile:

(If the weight isn't the correct size, then the gyroscope will tilt more or less to compensate … the amount of tilt will depend on the ratio of the spin rate and the weight … if the spin rate is zero, no amount of tilt will compensate.)

DocZaius said:
[...] I am having real trouble with precession.

I just can't understand why the same torque with the same dL/dt results in completely different looking phenomena.

Yeah. it's counterintuitive.
You are not the only one; the question you ask is a recurrent one.

Let me refer you to an earlier discussion (by me) here on physicsforums:
A post from november 2010 about https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2992527&postcount=3". Illustrated with images. Just a qualitative discussion.

More detailed discussion (including math) is in the http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/phys256/gyroscope_physics.php" article on my website.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disc that is mounted on an axis, allowing it to rotate freely in any direction. It is used to measure and maintain orientation and angular velocity in various scientific and technological applications.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

How does a gyroscope produce torque?

A gyroscope produces torque through the conservation of angular momentum. As the gyroscope spins, it creates a force that is perpendicular to its rotation axis, resulting in torque. This torque allows the gyroscope to maintain its orientation and resist external forces that may try to change its direction of rotation.

What is the difference between precession and nutation in a gyroscope?

Precession is the circular motion that a gyroscope experiences when a force is applied to its axis of rotation, causing it to tilt. Nutation, on the other hand, is a wobbling motion that occurs when a gyroscope's axis of rotation is not perfectly aligned with the force being applied to it. It is a result of the gyroscope trying to maintain its orientation while also experiencing external forces.

Why is understanding gyroscope torque important in science?

Understanding gyroscope torque is important in science because it plays a crucial role in many fields, such as navigation, aerospace engineering, and robotics. It also helps scientists and engineers to understand the motion and stability of objects in space and how to control and manipulate them. Additionally, gyroscope torque is essential in understanding the behavior of rotating bodies and the underlying principles of angular momentum and conservation of energy.