Reasonable rate for trig/calc tutoring for college bounders?

In summary, the conversation is about a junior EE wondering if they are underselling themselves by charging $10/hour with a 2 hour minimum for tutoring. The response suggests that the price may depend on geographic location and recommends checking with local community colleges for their tutoring rates. The person ultimately decides to try charging $15/hour, but expresses concern about potentially overcharging college students.
SELFMADE
i am junior EE

$10/hr with 2 hours min: underselling myself?

Science news on Phys.org
SELFMADE said:
i am junior EE

$10/hr with 2 hours min: underselling myself?

Depends on your geographic location. Here in SoCal, I have no problem earning $25/hour, and there are some tutors that charge up to $60/hour (e.g., those who went to super elite institutions). However, if you're in a smaller town in a lower cost-of-living area, you might not earn quite as much.

Check and see what the tutors at your local CC are being paid, then up that a little?

i am in north chicago

gonna go for $15 and see what they say

but might feel bad "ripping" (well not exactly ripping off cus I spent large amount of time learning the stuff also) off college hopefuls.

thanks

I cannot determine the appropriate rate for trigonometry and calculus tutoring. However, it is important to consider factors such as your level of expertise, the demand for your services, and the market rate for tutoring in your area. While $10/hr may seem low, it ultimately depends on your experience and the value you provide to your students. It is also important to consider the minimum number of hours you are willing to commit to, as this can impact the overall value of your services. I would recommend researching the rates of other tutors in your area and considering your own qualifications before determining a fair rate for your services.

1. What is the average cost for a trig/calc tutor for college students?

The average cost for a trig/calc tutor for college students can vary depending on location and experience of the tutor. Generally, rates can range from $30-$60 per hour. However, it is important to keep in mind that some tutors may charge more or less depending on their qualifications and the level of difficulty of the subject.

2. Are there any additional fees for trig/calc tutoring sessions?

Some tutors may charge additional fees for materials or travel expenses. It is important to discuss this with the tutor beforehand to avoid any surprises.

3. How many sessions per week are recommended for college students seeking trig/calc tutoring?

The number of sessions per week recommended for college students seeking trig/calc tutoring can vary depending on the individual's needs and goals. However, it is generally recommended to have at least 2-3 sessions per week to ensure consistent progress and understanding of the material.

4. Is there a difference in rates for in-person vs. online trig/calc tutoring?

Yes, there may be a difference in rates for in-person vs. online trig/calc tutoring. Online tutoring may be slightly less expensive due to the lack of travel expenses for the tutor. However, it is important to consider the individual's learning style and choose the option that will be most effective for them.

5. Are there any discounts available for college students seeking trig/calc tutoring?

Some tutors may offer discounts for college students seeking trig/calc tutoring, especially if they are working with multiple students or for a longer period of time. It is always worth asking the tutor if they offer any discounts or payment plans to make the tutoring more affordable.