Torque/acceleration with masses on pulley

• Thread starter vtech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the given system consists of two masses connected by a cord wrapped around a disk, which can rotate without friction. The cord cannot slip on the disk. The system is released from rest and we are asked to find the magnitude of acceleration of the blocks, the tension T1 in the cord at the left, and the tension T2 in the cord at the right. Using the equations for clockwise motion and considering a consistent sign convention, we can solve for the respective tensions and the acceleration.
vtech
Wer are given two objects of mass m1 = .20 kg and m2 = .67 kg, which are connected by a massless cord that is wrapped around a uniform disk of mass M = 0.50 kg and radius R = 0.12 m. The disk can rotate without friction about a fixed horizontal axis through its center; the cord cannot slip on the disk. The system is released from rest.

(a) Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks____m/s2
(b) Find the tension T1 in the cord at the left____ N
(c) Find the tension T2 in the cord at the right____N
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

well so far i have three equations - clockwise motion
1) T2*R - T1*R = I*alpha = net torque where alpha = a/R for pulley
2) T2 - m2*g = m2*a for mass on pulley
3) -T1 + m1*g = m1*a for mass on pulley

Then I solve 2) and 3) for respective tensions T2, T1 and substitute into 1) and solve for "a" I mean, am I close here or no? Cuz I don't want to write all of my solving out if I'm at the wrong starting point anyway...kinda messy... but I'm getting an answer of

a = - 7.429m/s2 but I get it as wrong. Don't have actual answer. Negative? So I'm guessing goes in opposite direction...?

Without correct a can't solve for T1 & T2 ... for answer a) since magnitude is being asked, even if acceleration is negative answer is +ve value.

I'd really appreciate some input on this questions! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• hrw7_10-53.gif
    hrw7_10-53.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 647
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone show me how to include a figure/graph in my question area instead of putting in as an attachment??

can anyone help on this one?

surely there is someone that can help out with this problem? i understand the concept of the torque acting with the forces, but i am unsure as to how i can relate this with the tensions! help anyone? i would really appreciate it!

sign problems

vtech said:
well so far i have three equations - clockwise motion
1) T2*R - T1*R = I*alpha = net torque where alpha = a/R for pulley
2) T2 - m2*g = m2*a for mass on pulley
3) -T1 + m1*g = m1*a for mass on pulley
You are mixing up the signs for the acceleration. You need to use a consistent sign convention. If you take up as positive, then the acceleration of m1 is up (+a), but the acceleration of m2 is down (-a). Rewrite equations 2 and 3.

1. What is torque and how is it related to acceleration?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is related to acceleration because torque can cause an object to accelerate in a circular motion, such as in the case of a mass on a pulley.

2. How does the mass on a pulley affect the torque and acceleration?

The mass on a pulley affects the torque and acceleration by changing the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotation. A larger mass on the pulley will result in a larger moment of inertia and therefore require more torque to cause the same amount of acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of the pulley and the torque and acceleration?

The radius of the pulley affects the torque and acceleration by changing the lever arm, which is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. A larger radius will result in a larger lever arm, requiring less torque to cause the same amount of acceleration.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the torque and acceleration?

The direction of the force affects the torque and acceleration by changing the sign of the torque. If the force is applied in the same direction as the rotation, the torque will be positive and cause acceleration. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the torque will be negative and cause deceleration.

5. What is the formula for calculating torque and acceleration in a pulley system?

The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and r is the radius of the pulley. The formula for acceleration is a = (T - Fg) / m, where a is the acceleration, T is the torque, Fg is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object on the pulley.