Help with ideas about a project

In summary, the speaker is a student who wants to study engineering but is struggling to come up with a project idea that will impress admissions committees. They have looked for inspiration online, but have only found simple science experiments. They are seeking suggestions for a creative project that will showcase their skills and knowledge in mathematics and physics. The speaker is also willing to seek assistance from physics teachers and is eager to start working on the project as soon as possible.
MCS1810
Hello. I am new here so I don't really know where my question belongs. I've already put it in the "homework" section but I don't think it was the right one. Anyway, here's my little problem. I am not an engineer or anything. I am not even in college yet. I am starting my senior year in september and the thing is, I am specialized in mathematics, (which means the most important subjects are math and physics) and I would like to go to an engineering institute. What I would like is to make a project, involving physics for example, (an experiment or anything) that would allow me to be accepted (I have high grades and I hope I have a shot at a good institute). The problem is, I live in Tunisia, so this kind of opportunities are not exactly a dime a dozen in my country, that's why I really need your help. I want ideas abt projects, just ideas to start with cause I really have no clue and I would like to start as soon as possible (like, even tomorrow ). I can manage to have a little help from physics teachers but I have to come up with an idea first. I looked everywhere and I only find little science experiments (too easy, not "creative" enough). I would really appreciate some good ideas, and thank you for your time, I really need you !
P.S. : english is only my 3rd language, so I apologize for syntax or spelling mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, congratulations on your ambition to pursue engineering! It's truly a challenging and rewarding field. When it comes to your project, you could focus on building a physical device or system that solves a real-world problem. For example, you could design a solar-powered water pump to help farmers irrigate their fields, a wind turbine to generate electricity for a rural village, or a self-driving car. You could also investigate a physics phenomenon, such as wave propagation in a fluid, or study the effects of magnetic fields on electrical circuits.Whatever project you choose, you should make sure that it challenges your skills and knowledge and requires you to think outside the box. You should also create a timeline and a budget for yourself, so that you can plan out what needs to be done and how much time and money you'll need to complete the project.Good luck!

1. What should I do if I am stuck on coming up with ideas for my project?

If you are struggling to come up with ideas for your project, try brainstorming with a group of colleagues or friends. You can also do some research and gather inspiration from similar projects that have been done before. Additionally, consider asking your mentor or supervisor for suggestions or advice.

2. How can I narrow down my ideas and choose the best one for my project?

To narrow down your ideas, consider the feasibility, resources, and time constraints of each idea. You can also create a pros and cons list for each idea to help you make a decision. Furthermore, think about which idea aligns best with your project goals and objectives.

3. What are some techniques for generating creative ideas for a project?

There are several techniques you can use to generate creative ideas for your project. Some examples include brainstorming, mind mapping, SCAMPER (Substitute, Combine, Adapt, Modify, Put to another use, Eliminate, Rearrange) method, and random word association. You can also try stepping away from your project and engaging in activities that stimulate creativity, such as taking a walk or listening to music.

4. How can I make sure my project ideas are original and not already done before?

To ensure your project ideas are original, it is important to conduct thorough research. Look for similar projects that have been done before and make sure your idea has a unique angle or approach. You can also seek feedback from others to see if they have heard of a similar project idea.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling to come up with ideas for my project?

If you are still having trouble generating ideas for your project, consider seeking guidance from a mentor or supervisor. They may be able to provide additional resources or suggestions. You can also try taking a break and coming back to the project with a fresh perspective. Sometimes, stepping away from a problem can help you see it in a new light.