How to calculate the slip in an three phase induction motor

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the rotor slip for a motor with known output torque and rpm shaft, as well as the equivalent circuit parameters. The slip can be calculated directly from the input frequency and rotor RPM, which is important for determining the necessary voltage and frequency from an inverter to achieve the desired torque and rpm.
Jander
Hello!
I wanted to know if it is possible to calculate the rotor slip if I know the output torque and rpm shaft. I also know the equivalent cicuit of the motor: Rs, Rr, Ls, Lm and Lr.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Jander said:
Hello!
I wanted to know if it is possible to calculate the rotor slip if I know the output torque and rpm shaft. I also know the equivalent cicuit of the motor: Rs, Rr, Ls, Lm and Lr.

Thank you!

If you know the input frequency (this is the mains frequency if it's not inverter driven) and the rotor RPM then that's all you need to calculate the slip directly from it's definition (as opposed to calculating it from the machine model).

slip = 1 - pp * RPM / (60 * f)

Where pp is the number of pole pairs

The point is that the motor is supplied by a inverter with variable voltage and frequency, so I wanted to know the slip to calculate the frequency and the voltage to supply to the motor to obtain the desired torque/rpm.

1. How do you calculate the slip in a three phase induction motor?

The slip of a three phase induction motor can be calculated using the formula: Slip = (Ns - N) / Ns, where Ns is the synchronous speed and N is the actual speed of the motor. The synchronous speed can be calculated using the formula: Ns = 120f / P, where f is the frequency and P is the number of poles in the motor.

2. What is the significance of slip in an induction motor?

The slip in an induction motor is an important parameter as it determines the amount of torque produced by the motor. A higher slip indicates a higher torque, which is necessary for the motor to overcome the load and start rotating.

3. How does the slip affect the efficiency of an induction motor?

The slip has a direct impact on the efficiency of an induction motor. A higher slip results in a lower efficiency as more energy is lost due to the production of heat and friction in the motor.

4. Can the slip be negative in an induction motor?

No, the slip cannot be negative in an induction motor as it is a measure of the difference between the synchronous speed and the actual speed. The synchronous speed is always higher than the actual speed, resulting in a positive slip value.

5. What are the factors that affect the slip in an induction motor?

The main factors that affect the slip in an induction motor are the load on the motor, the number of poles, and the frequency of the power supply. Additionally, the design and construction of the motor also play a role in determining the slip.