Big Test Prep-Questions

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: Its really helpful to be able to see everything laid out like that.In summary, the person is having trouble remembering the steps to a review test and asks for help. They provide a summary of the content and explain that they made a mistake. They provide the equations for the normal force and applied force, and solve for them.
Tom McCurdy
Big Test Prep--Questions

Alright we are having a review test and I needed to go back to the stuff we did earlier this year and I am having some trouble remembering what to do...
:shy: how can i forget this stuff you ask... I don't know

A 52.3 kg trunk is pushed 5.95 m at a constant speed up a 28.0 degree incline by a constant horizontal force. The coefficent of kinetic friction beeween the trunk and the incline is .19 Calculate the work done by (a) the applied force (i got b)

Answer:2160 J

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done by a force is

[tex]W = \vec{F}.\vec{s} = |\vec{F}||\vec{s}|cos \theta[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector.

Just [tex]W=Fd\cos{\theta}[/tex]. Can you work with the force vectors acting on the block and figure it out? Start with a FBD.

Indded that is the forumula, however it is in calculating F, that I am having difficulty
I did just realize that it is horizontal so the [tex] cos \alpha [/tex] will apply as opposed to if they were pushing directly at the 28 degree angle,

I am being really slow with friction, its been awhile I tried setting it up like follows

[tex]\sum{x=0}P-f cos\alpha=0 [/tex]
[tex]\sum{y=0}N-mp-fsin\alpha=0[/tex]

however I have a strong feeling this is incorrect, I have also tried 2 other ways but they are more involved and require a lot more work to show, and I know they don't work

P, being the force
N- Normal
f= uk
there should also be spaces betwen 0 and p and 0 and N

The applied force is horizontal. So you have four forces: The normal force (points directly up), friction (pointing back), gravity (pointing downwards) and your applied force, pointing horizontally. These are the equations i get:

Fy = Fn - Asin28 - mgcos28 = 0
Fx = Acos28 - Ff - mgsin28 = 0

You might want to double check that. I may have made a mistake somewhere. Solve for normal force in Fy and then plug that into Fx. Then you can solve for your applied force. When I did it, i got a slightly different answer. That may have been an algebraic mistake (hopefully). Either way, do it for yourself and see what you come up with.

Yea, i made a small mistake. It does work.

thanks for you help it worked out when I did the work

[tex]Fy=N-Psin28-mgcos28 = 0[/tex]

[tex]Fx =Pcos28 - f - mgsin28 = 0[/tex]

[tex] N=Psin28-mgcos28 [/tex]

[tex] Pcos28-ukN-mgsin28 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] Pcos28-uk*(Psin28-mgcos28)-mgsin28=0 [/tex]

[tex] Pcos28-ukPsin28-ukmgcos28-mgsin28=0 [/tex]

[tex] P(cos28-uksin28)=ukmgcos28+mgsin28 [/tex]

[tex] P=\frac{ukmgcos28+mgsin28}{cos28-uksin28} [/tex]

[tex]P=\frac{.19*52.3*9.8*cos28+52.3*9.8*sin28}{cos28*.19sin28} [/tex]

[tex]P=411.474[/tex]

[tex] W=P(dot)d [/tex]

[tex] W=P*d*cos28 [/tex]

[tex] W=411.474*5.95*cos28=2161.69 [/tex]

thanks for the help, just wanted to show you that I actually used your advice

The thing I need help is with comming up with the initial values the

Well the only suggestion i can make is that you draw yourself a free-body diagram and then start labelling your forces. Resolve them into your x and y components. Then just add them up.

What is "Big Test Prep-Questions"?

Big Test Prep-Questions is a comprehensive test preparation program designed to help students prepare for standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, and more. It includes practice tests, study materials, and personalized coaching to help students improve their test-taking skills and achieve their desired scores.

Who can benefit from "Big Test Prep-Questions"?

Big Test Prep-Questions is suitable for students of all ages and academic backgrounds who are planning to take a standardized test. It is especially helpful for high school students preparing for college entrance exams, as well as college students preparing for graduate school exams. It can also benefit working professionals looking to advance their careers by taking standardized tests.

What makes "Big Test Prep-Questions" different from other test prep programs?

Big Test Prep-Questions stands out from other test prep programs because of its personalized approach. It uses diagnostic tests and performance data to create a customized study plan for each student, targeting their specific strengths and weaknesses. It also offers one-on-one coaching with experienced tutors to provide individualized support and guidance.

How can "Big Test Prep-Questions" help improve my test scores?

Big Test Prep-Questions can help improve your test scores by providing you with comprehensive study materials and strategies for approaching different types of questions. It also offers practice tests that simulate the actual test-taking experience, helping you become familiar with the format and timing of the test. Additionally, the personalized coaching and feedback can help you identify and improve on your weak areas.

Is "Big Test Prep-Questions" worth the investment?

Yes, "Big Test Prep-Questions" is worth the investment as it can significantly increase your chances of achieving a high score on your standardized test. It not only helps you improve your test-taking skills but also provides you with valuable resources and support that can benefit you in other academic and professional endeavors. Additionally, many students have seen a significant improvement in their scores after using this program.