Sinusoidal function, find its parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses measurements of water height in a harbor and how it can be modeled by a sinusoidal function. The parameters a, b, c, and k are determined using the given information, including a mean level of 2.5 meters, an amplitude of 1.5 meters, and a period of 12 hours. The rate of change of the water height is also calculated. The doctor provides hints involving specific values of t and h, and suggests using trigonometric identities to solve the problem.
voltaire101

Homework Statement

Measurements of the height h(t) of water in a harbor are recorded ,where h is measured in meters and t in hours.It was noted that the rise and fall of a tide is modeled by a sinusoidal function giving the height by : h(t)=a+bsin(kt+c).

(a) Obtain values of the parameters a,b,c and k if measurement started when the level is equal to the mean level of 2.5 meters and has an amplitude of 1.5 meters and a period of 12 hours.

b) Compute the rate of change of the water height.

c) Find the highest and lowest values of h and the times at which they are taken.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a very complex problem (I think). OK, I tried to solve it in many way but with no progress, finally the doctor said that he will give us a hint. So I wrote this hint and I found it was very far from my attempts to solve it.

So I will type the doctor's hints..

at t=0 the height was 2.5

every 12 hours there is an amplitude of 1.5 meters

He also wrote this: (I don't know why he chose four periods)

when t=0 h=2.5
when t=12 h=4
when t=24 h=5.5
when t=36 h=7

when t=0 2.5=a+bsin(c)

when t=12 4=a+bsin(12k+c)

when t=24 5.5=a+bsin(24kc)

when t=36 7=a+bsin(36k+c)

for the first period:
sin(c)=[itex]\frac{2.5-a}{b}[/itex]

for the second period:
sin(12k+c)=sin(12k)cos(c)+cos(12k)sin(c)

... At this point I lost reception.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this get you started?

Attachments

• aaaaa114.jpg
    aaaaa114.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 465

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that describes a wave-like pattern. It is characterized by a repeating pattern of highs and lows, or peaks and valleys, that can be graphed as a sine or cosine curve.

2. What are the parameters of a sinusoidal function?

The parameters of a sinusoidal function include the amplitude, period, phase shift, and vertical shift. These parameters determine the shape, size, and position of the graphed curve.

3. How do you find the amplitude of a sinusoidal function?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal function is the distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point on the curve. To find the amplitude, you can take the absolute value of the coefficient of the sine or cosine term in the function's equation.

4. What is the period of a sinusoidal function?

The period of a sinusoidal function is the length of one complete cycle of the curve. It is represented by the variable "b" in the equation y = a sin(bx + c) or y = a cos(bx + c). The period can be calculated by dividing 2π by the absolute value of "b".

5. How do you determine the phase shift of a sinusoidal function?

The phase shift of a sinusoidal function is the amount by which the curve is horizontally shifted to the left or right. It is represented by the variable "c" in the equation y = a sin(bx + c) or y = a cos(bx + c). The phase shift can be calculated by dividing -c by the absolute value of "b".