Gravitational attraction force b/w point mass and rod

In summary, the gravitational force between two points is F = G\frac{M_1M_2}{r^2} where r is the separation of the two points. Secondly in gravity the force between a point and an entire system is the same as the force between that point and the center of mass of that system (giving the center of mass the entire mass of the system), since the center of mass of a uniform rod is in the middle I added half the distance of the rod to the distance between your particle and the start of the rod to find the r term.
Redoctober
I was wondering about a scenario where we have a unit mass M1 and a thin rod of mass M2 of length L with a distance r between them attracting each other . Is my following approach to the problem correct ??!

let s = r + L
I know that F= -(GM1M2)/(s^2) where G is gravitation constant

therefore F= -GM1*∫1/(s^2).dM2
I know that M2 = λ*L where λ is density
therefore dM2 = λdL . from ds = dL
I get dM2 = λdL
Therefore finally , F= -GM1*∫1/(s^2)*λ.ds
Integrating from r to r+L
I get F= -(GM1M2)/(r*(r+L))

Equation analysis - If i put limit L-->0 , i turn the rod to a point mass, therefore i get -GM1M2/(r^2) which is actually the gravitational attraction force for two masses :D

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should describe the geometry of the situation. How is the rod oriented with respect to the point?

mathman said:
You should describe the geometry of the situation. How is the rod oriented with respect to the point?

Point mass --> . <------distance R------> _______________ <-- Rod M2 with length L

The force should be
[tex] F = G\frac{M_1M_2}{(r+\frac{L}{2})^2} [/tex]
So something went wrong there.

I knew there was something wrong, maybe take the variable or the partition set i took for integrating.May you show me how you did it ?? :) thanks

Well the gravitational force between two points is [itex]F = G\frac{M_1M_2}{r^2}[/itex] where [itex]r[/itex] is the separation of the two points. Secondly in gravity the force between a point and an entire system is the same as the force between that point and the center of mass of that system (giving the center of mass the entire mass of the system), since the center of mass of a uniform rod is in the middle I added half the distance of the rod to the distance between your particle and the start of the rod to find the [itex]r[/itex] term.

Oh i see , Center of mass does represent all the dm in the system so simply we can take distance as r+L/2, But if we were to proof it using the idea of F=-(GM1)/(s^2)*ΣdM2 thus F=-(GM1)/(s^2)∫1.dM2 ? How can it be done ?

Redoctober is right, and JHamm is wrong. You must integrate just as Red did.
This is a standard problem in EM texts for the electric force on a charge.
The texts all give Red's answer.

clem said:
Redoctober is right, and JHamm is wrong. You must integrate just as Red did.
This is a standard problem in EM texts for the electric force on a charge.
The texts all give Red's answer.

Oh k . Thankyou so much for vertifying :D ! I am happy that my approach to the problem worked !

Sorry about that then, looks like I'll be eating foot tonight :s

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational attraction force between a point mass and a rod?

The formula for calculating the gravitational attraction force between a point mass and a rod is F = (G * m * M) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the point mass, M is the mass of the rod, and r is the distance between the point mass and the center of the rod.

2. How does the distance between the point mass and the rod affect the gravitational attraction force?

The gravitational attraction force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point mass and the center of the rod. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the gravitational attraction force between a point mass and a rod be negative?

No, the gravitational attraction force between a point mass and a rod is always positive. This is because gravity is always an attractive force, and the direction of the force is towards the center of mass of the rod.

4. How does the mass of the rod affect the gravitational attraction force?

The mass of the rod directly affects the gravitational attraction force. As the mass of the rod increases, the force also increases. This is because the more massive the rod is, the stronger its gravitational pull towards the point mass.

5. Can the gravitational attraction force between a point mass and a rod be greater than the force between two point masses?

No, the gravitational attraction force between a point mass and a rod is always less than the force between two point masses with the same masses. This is because the rod has its mass distributed along its length, whereas two point masses have all their mass concentrated at a single point, resulting in a stronger gravitational pull.