Supplementary Angles for Spherical Trigonometry

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is trying to review spherical trigonometry on their own and is having trouble understanding the concept behind using the supplement of the solved dihedral angle. They are using a book by Paul Rider and are also using Napier's rules to solve for spherical angles and sides. They are unsure of when to use acute angles and when to use obtuse angles and are looking for more resources to help them study for their licensure examination. They also mention a specific problem they are having trouble with, where the supplementary value is not admissible due to both angle A and side a being on the first quadrant.
jaycob1997
I'm trying to review spherical trinometry on my own and I'm stuck where it says the supplement of the solved dihedral angle can be implemented. I'm using "PLANE AND SPHERICAL TRIGONOMETRY" by Paul Rider. Can anyone explain the concept behind that statement, because the examples that I have are quite confusing :confused:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me just add some other information:

I'm using Napier's rules to solve for spherical angles and spherical sides for right spherical triangles. Now my problem is, when will I use the acute angles and not the supplement angles(Obtuse). Or are there any rule/s to follow on which angle to use.

Thanks for the link. Do you know other sites that I can go to regarding the same subject matter (Spherical Trigonometry), or if you know of any sites that have problems to solve so I can apply the concepts that I just learned. By the way, I'm self studying for my licensure examination, and a great deal of the exams comes from all fields of math.

Thanks again

I did further reading on the subject matter. This is where I got lost, the problem goes:

In a right spherical triangle (C=90 degrees), A=69 degrees and 50.8minutes, c=72 degrees and 15.4minutes, find B, a, b.

Using Napier's rules, I get

a=63 degrees and 23.8 minutes
b= 47 degrees7.0 minutes,
B=50 degrees and 17.7 minutes

a note is given at the end of the question stating that "The supplementary value is not admissible since 'A' (angle A) and 'a' (side a) do not terminate at the same quadrant" - but by inspection, the two values are both on the first quadrant. I'm totally lost :cry:

1. What are supplementary angles in spherical trigonometry?

Supplementary angles in spherical trigonometry are two angles whose sum is equal to 180 degrees. These angles are commonly used to calculate distances and angles on the surface of a sphere, such as the Earth.

2. How are supplementary angles related to the concept of great circles?

Supplementary angles are related to great circles because they form the central angle of a great circle. Great circles are the largest circles that can be drawn on the surface of a sphere and they divide the sphere into two equal hemispheres. The central angle of a great circle is always a supplementary angle.

3. Can supplementary angles be used to find the distance between two points on a sphere?

Yes, supplementary angles can be used to find the distance between two points on a sphere. By using the central angle of a great circle and applying the law of cosines, we can calculate the distance between two points on a sphere.

4. How are supplementary angles used in navigation and mapping?

In navigation and mapping, supplementary angles are used to calculate the shortest distance between two points on the surface of the Earth. This is important for determining the most efficient route for travel or for creating accurate maps.

5. Are there any real-life applications of supplementary angles in spherical trigonometry?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of supplementary angles in spherical trigonometry. Some examples include calculating the distance between two cities on a globe, determining the shortest flight path between two airports, and creating accurate maps of the Earth's surface.