Neutrinos: Mass & Spin Explored

In summary, neutrinos have spin and it is difficult to determine their mass. According to the booklet from PDG dating back to July 2004, the upper limit for the mass of each type of neutrino is: m_{\nu_{e}}<3eV, m_{\nu_{\mu}}<0.19MeV, and m_{\nu_{\tau}}<18.2MeV. However, other sources suggest that the sum of all three rest masses is less than 0.71eV. Neutrinos from supernovas may reach Earth before photons due to their lack of interaction with gases and plasmas in space. Neutrino oscillations have confirmed that at most only
Reshma
Do neutrinos have mass and spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
Do neutrinos have mass and spin?

They definitely have spin.As for mass,apparently there are no sources left which indicate zero mass.
To quote from the booklet from PDG,dating July 2004
[tex] m_{\nu_{e}}<3eV [/tex]

[tex] m_{\nu_{\mu}}<0.19MeV [/tex]

[tex] m_{\nu_{\tau}}<18.2MeV [/tex]

Daniel.

I was under the impression that neutrinos from supernova reached the Earth before the photons did...because the photons are slowed by the gases and plasmas of space, and neutrinos rarely interact.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, this is something I learned about 4 or 5 years ago, so it's not fresh.
Some scientists were doing an experiment to measure the weak force or prove the existence of their mediator particle, I believe they used an underground reservoir of Chlorine or a compound of it. Anyway, they detected the influx of neutrinos a few hours before they observed a supernova.

So maybe they have mass, but they still seem to travel pretty fast.

Trouble with neutrinos, it's difficult to observe them. They were originally theorized to conserve energy in the weak interactions.

Neutrinos as noted above have a very small mass. Coming out of a supernova they are traveling very close to the speed of light. Because they are difficult to measure, it took a long time before physicist were able to show definitely that they did have a non-zero mass.

What would they have been if they had no mass anyway, just another form of electromagnetic wave?

Jake said:
What would they have been if they had no mass anyway, just another form of electromagnetic wave?

Not exactly.Technically,they would have been massless quanta of a neutrino field,which is a spin 1/2 field.The trick is that these neutrinos,cf.photons,they don't have 2 helicity states,but only one.

I believe the problem of massive right-handed neutrinos is still open...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
They definitely have spin.As for mass,apparently there are no sources left which indicate zero mass.
[tex] m_{\nu_{e}}<3eV [/tex]

[tex] m_{\nu_{\mu}}<0.19MeV [/tex]

[tex] m_{\nu_{\tau}}<18.2MeV [/tex]
This seems like an awfully large upper limit. Do you have a reference?

This source seems to put the sum of all three rest masses at less than .71 eV: http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0302/0302191.pdf

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
kirovman said:
I was under the impression that neutrinos from supernova reached the Earth before the photons did...because the photons are slowed by the gases and plasmas of space, and neutrinos rarely interact.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, this is something I learned about 4 or 5 years ago, so it's not fresh.
Some scientists were doing an experiment to measure the weak force or prove the existence of their mediator particle, I believe they used an underground reservoir of Chlorine or a compound of it. Anyway, they detected the influx of neutrinos a few hours before they observed a supernova.

So maybe they have mass, but they still seem to travel pretty fast.

Trouble with neutrinos, it's difficult to observe them. They were originally theorized to conserve energy in the weak interactions.
I'm not at all sure there was much of a time difference ... the photons 'first' detected were well after the star had gone SN (when someone in NZ or Australia actually noticed there was a star in the LMC that they didn't recognise). In any case, the neutrinos would escape the SN before EM, because the (dying) star becomes transparent to neutrinos as soon as the shock wave gets just above the core ... that wave takes some time to reach the surface of the star, when the EM finally breaks loose.

Google on 'neutrino oscillations'; as usual in HEP, things are a little more complicated than what you read in the popular press.

Andrew Mason said:
This seems like an awfully large upper limit. Do you have a reference?

This source seems to put the sum of all three rest masses at less than .71 eV: http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0302/0302191.pdf

AM

Which part was it unclear??This one??
dextercioby said:

Daniel.

Last edited by a moderator:
dextercioby said:
Which part was it unclear??This one??
When I asked for the reference, I meant: where can I find it?

AM

Close to the speed of light requires mass no? At the speed of light is the classification of massless no?

Enos said:
Close to the speed of light requires mass no? At the speed of light is the classification of massless no?
An object with mass cannot travel at c; a massless particle must travel at c. 'Weighing' neutrinos is very difficult to do, esp for the mu and tau kinds. Until neutrino oscillation was confirmed (observations and experiments), we couldn't say whether neutrinos have mass; now we can say that at most only one flavour can be massless. However, like all 'conclusions' in science, this is tentative, and assumes that several theories are good representations of 'reality' (whatever that is).

don't pay attention to the "no?" in my statements. Just felt like adding them to bring an extra spark into my words.

Andrew Mason said:
When I asked for the reference, I meant: where can I find it?

AM

If you don't have the booklet,then their website will do it:
website

Daniel.

Rather than start a new thread I'll ask it right here...for those who have ordered the booklets from the PDG, how long does it typically take for them to arrive? I ordered mine in late November but they've yet to come in - am I being too impatient? :blushing:

mνe < 2.5 eV
νμ < 170 keV
ντ < 18 MeV

This is what I always thought it was...

Actually i got it as a gift from the faculty...Supposedly helping me with my thesis... :yuck:
I really don't know when they got it... :tongue2:

Daniel.

taeth said:
mνe < 2.5 eV
νμ < 170 keV
ντ < 18 MeV

This is what I always thought it was...

Post the source,please...We really don't care what u think... :tongue2: It's better to present the source,so anyone could check it out,if they want to.

Daniel.

I don't hate anyone...I just found curious the part with "thought"...And the fact that u didn't post your source from the first post...

Daniel.

That wasn't my original source I remember reading it in a book I have... its too hard to link things from books so I just found a site with comparable numbers.

I would say the majority of people working in Neutrino physics expect they acquire a Majorana mass via the seesaw mechanism. Various Susy/nonSuSy GUTs can give the correct mechanism up to order of magnitude for the right handed 'sterile' Neutrinos.

taeth said:
mνe < 2.5 eV
νμ < 170 keV
ντ < 18 MeV
These are not figures for rest mass. They represent relativistic mass. The Wikipedia page you referred to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino makes this clear:

"If the total mass of all three types of neutrinos exceeded 50 electron volts (per neutrino), there would be so much mass in the universe that it would collapse. This limit can be circumvented by assuming that the neutrino is unstable; however, there are limits within the Standard Model that make this difficult."

Recent experiments put the total rest masses of all three neutrinos at less than 1 eV.

AM

I didn't think they had equated the rest mass of neutrinos yet...

Andrew Mason said:
These are not figures for rest mass. They represent relativistic mass.

They can't represent relativistic mass. Relativistic mass depends on energy. A neutrino with an energy of 50 GeV, such as have been produced in accelerator experiments, has a relativistic mass of 50 GeV/c^2.

jtbell said:
They can't represent relativistic mass. Relativistic mass depends on energy. A neutrino with an energy of 50 GeV, such as have been produced in accelerator experiments, has a relativistic mass of 50 GeV/c^2.
The figures provided refer to solar neutrinos, I believe. They are expressed in relativistic mass (in units of eV/c^2).

AM

1. What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that are electrically neutral and have an extremely small mass. They are often referred to as "ghost particles" because they rarely interact with other matter and are difficult to detect.

2. How are neutrinos studied and detected?

Neutrinos are studied and detected using specialized detectors, such as giant underground tanks of water or large underground detectors filled with liquid argon. When a neutrino collides with an atom in the detector, it produces a small flash of light that can be detected.

3. What is the current understanding of neutrino mass?

The current understanding is that neutrinos have a very small mass, but the exact value is still unknown. Scientists are actively working to measure the mass of neutrinos and better understand their properties.

4. How do neutrinos differ from other particles, such as electrons and protons?

Neutrinos are much smaller and have a different charge than electrons and protons. They also have a different type of spin called "spin half," which means that they have a spin of either +1/2 or -1/2.

5. Why is it important to study neutrinos?

Neutrinos are important because they can provide valuable information about the universe, such as the formation of stars and the composition of matter. They can also help scientists understand fundamental physics principles, such as the nature of mass and the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.