The Internet Generation Of Scientists - what years?

In summary, the Internet Generation of Scientists will dominate scientific activity in the late 2010's.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What's a good year to mark when the Internet Generation of Scientists will dominate sicentific activity?

I define the Internet Generation to be a generation who has used the resources of the internet (such as physicsforums, of course) throughout all their scientific training, from elementary algebra onward. There will be other significant apsects of their culture beside the internet per se. Many will have adopted software tools such as Matlab or Mathematica early in their careers.

Perhaps some forum members are in this generation. A person who was 14 in the year 2000 would be 30 in 2016. If that person is an exemplar then the Internet Generation should dominate science (an everything else) in roughly the late 2010's.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone born in 1985 in Europe or the US is likely to have used the internet throughout their life in education. So if we assume a minimum age of 18 to start as a scientist then by 1998 we get the first batch entering the profession. Assuming a retirement age of 65 over 50% of scientists will be from the internet generation by summer 2030 (using this same method the percentage in the profession now is 21.5%).

That's a simple answer. A more complete answer would have to consider that most scientists don't publish a paper until their early 20s, older scientists will still have their names on the papers of younger ones which complicates the definition of "dominate" and whilst younger scientists might publish more a scientist who has been in a field for decades will probably produce work that is more valuable.

What about those professors/scientists who are old(er) however have been able to assimilate into using these technologies? Shouldn't they also be considered part of this whole definition?

I mean, not all old(er) people are clueless about technology. The PI where I work is in his 60's (or older, I'm not sure) and uses a lot of software for spectroscopy stimulations, enzyme kinetics etc (not to mention the typical stuff like Internet/database searches, email, Word, Excel, SigmaPlot etc). He is also very knowledgeable about instrumentation and such. When a problem comes up with the "hardware" (not necessarily computer hardware) he pretty much has seen it all and after a few questions, tells me the problem and how to fix it. He also told me of how he remembers when spectroscopists cut out spectra and weighed them to do integrations!

This complicates matter further because another person in the lab is in his 70's and can barely save an email attachment. Brilliant guy who has done a lot of important work in his field, just never really got into the technology surge of the 90's/2000's.

Stephen Tashi said:
What's a good year to mark when the Internet Generation of Scientists will dominate sicentific activity?

I define the Internet Generation to be a generation who has used the resources of the internet (such as physicsforums, of course) throughout all their scientific training, from elementary algebra onward. There will be other significant apsects of their culture beside the internet per se. Many will have adopted software tools such as Matlab or Mathematica early in their careers.

Perhaps some forum members are in this generation. A person who was 14 in the year 2000 would be 30 in 2016. If that person is an exemplar then the Internet Generation should dominate science (an everything else) in roughly the late 2010's.

Outside of segregating a population of scientists, what does this matter? Much of what is taught relies on work done before the internet, before computers, and in the case of mathematics, before electricity :smile: And, yes, I still have my college slide rule... somewhere

There are two sides to the coin. On the one hand, the Internet has indeed been a helpful tool for research. On the other hand, there has been to much reliance on it. Remember all the great scientists of the 19th century who have been able to achieve extraordinary inventions and made life changing discoveries without the existence of a computer. These achievements still resonate with us today. Creativity and innovation have little to do with computers and the Internet. I strongly believe that these tools are not indispensable to the creation process.

visitor369 said:
There are two sides to the coin. On the one hand, the Internet has indeed been a helpful tool for research. On the other hand, there has been to much reliance on it. Remember all the great scientists of the 19th century who have been able to achieve extraordinary inventions and made life changing discoveries without the existence of a computer. These achievements still resonate with us today. Creativity and innovation have little to do with computers and the Internet. I strongly believe that these tools are not indispensable to the creation process.
Welcome to the forums! I don't see why computers or the internet would do anything but facilitate invention and creativity. The speed at which research and work can be done is massively increased and the diversity of material one can be exposed too is far in excess of someone working in pre-internet times.

As for reliance, everyone relies on the infrastructure they have available. There's often little merit learning how to be reliant on different, more primitive, infrastructure.

most of the major advances of modern physics were in the 19th century and early times of twentieth century.
now, we have internet but it is so difficult to make an advance in physics.

ilhan8 said:
most of the major advances of modern physics were in the 19th century and early times of twentieth century.
now, we have internet but it is so difficult to make an advance in physics.

Are you referring to the development of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity? If so, then I think you have missed the countless developments we've had since then, especially in the near past. New developments are founded of the principles of the underlying theory, but that doesn't mean they are any less important. Some can have enormous influences themselves. And I don't see how it's any harder to make an advance in physics compared to 100 years ago.

I am 49 and internet is my whole life.

1. What are the years that define the "Internet Generation of Scientists"?

The Internet Generation of Scientists can be generally defined as individuals who were born between the late 1980s and the early 2000s. This generation grew up during the rise of the internet and have a unique understanding and use of technology in their scientific research.

2. How has the Internet influenced the way scientists conduct research?

The Internet has significantly impacted the way scientists conduct research. With easy access to vast amounts of data and resources, scientists can now collaborate, share and analyze data more efficiently than ever before. The internet has also allowed for the emergence of new research fields, such as data science and bioinformatics, which heavily rely on internet technologies.

3. What challenges do the Internet Generation of Scientists face?

One of the main challenges for the Internet Generation of Scientists is the overwhelming amount of information available online. With so much data to sift through, it can be challenging to determine what information is reliable and relevant. Additionally, there is a growing concern about the validity and accuracy of information found online, which can impact the integrity of scientific research.

4. How has the Internet Generation of Scientists impacted the scientific community?

The Internet Generation of Scientists has brought significant changes to the scientific community. These individuals are more adept at using technology in their research, leading to more efficient and innovative approaches. They have also shifted the dynamics of collaboration and communication, with a greater emphasis on virtual tools and global partnerships.

5. What future developments can we expect from the Internet Generation of Scientists?

The Internet Generation of Scientists will continue to shape the future of scientific research. With the rise of artificial intelligence and big data, this generation will play a crucial role in developing new technologies and methods for analyzing and interpreting large datasets. They will also continue to push the boundaries of collaboration and communication, leading to further advancements in scientific research.