Finding the Current in a circuit, with series opposing voltage sources.

In summary, the problem involves finding the current in each branch of a circuit with two resistors (4 and 7 ohms) and a switch (k) when the switch is both open and closed. The attempt at a solution involves using Kirchhoff's rules when the switch is closed and finding each current when the switch is open. The forum rules require the poster to show their attempts at solving the problem.
Killstudy

Homework Statement

asd.png

V1-12V
V2-9V
R1-4 Ohms
R2-7 Ohms
R3-8 Ohms

Each current has to be found when the switch (k) is both open and closed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find each current when the switch is open, however I'm confused at what would happen when it becomes closed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Killstudy, welcome to PF. I hope your studies do not kill you.

The forum rules here says that you need to show your attempts for solving the problem. How did you solve the case with open switch?

If the switch is closed you have two loops and need to use Kirchhoff' rules.

ehild

What is the definition of current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in amperes (A).

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component.

What are opposing voltage sources in a series circuit?

Opposing voltage sources in a series circuit are two or more voltage sources connected in a way that their voltages act in opposite directions, resulting in a decrease in the overall voltage of the circuit.

How do you find the current in a series circuit with opposing voltage sources?

To find the current in a series circuit with opposing voltage sources, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) to calculate the total resistance of the circuit and then use Kirchhoff's Current Law to determine the current at any point in the circuit.

What factors affect the current in a series circuit with opposing voltage sources?

The factors that affect the current in a series circuit with opposing voltage sources include the individual voltages of each source, the resistance of each component, and the total resistance of the circuit.