Simplifying equations. Orders of operation.

• Thread starter Iccanui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the expression (2+1×2)−4×6 simplifies to -20, not 20 as originally thought due to incorrect application of the order of operations. The expression was also written in an ambiguous manner and would have been clearer if written as (2 + (1 × 2)) - (4 × 6). It is important to follow the order of operations, BIDMAS or BODMAS, when simplifying expressions to ensure correct results.
Iccanui
Simplify the following expression.

(2+1×2)−4×6
=(2+2)−4×6
=4−4×6
=4−24
=−20
My answer was 20 and it was wrong.

When i look at this i see, 2 plus 1 times 2 minus 4 times 6
The part I am getting wrong is the minus, which in this case means a -4 instead of a 4.
I don't understand how you can you tell the difference ?
My only conclusion is that since this is a order of operations module, that this doesn't really exist outside of the module, that its just a example for learning ?
Or maybe since its saying to simplyify the expresion, that right there is telling me that I am not going to add or subtract some how ?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Iccanui said:
Simplify the following expression.

(2+1×2)−4×6
=(2+2)−4×6
=4−4×6
=4−24
=−20

My answer was 20 and it was wrong.
This should do it :biggrin:

The generally accepted order of operations are BIDMAS (or BODMAS, same thing), which is:
Brackets, Indicies, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction.

So, brackets are computed first, then indices (powers), then division and multiplication have equal priority, and are done left to right, then addition and subtraction, which also have equal priority, are done left to right.

In real life, nobody should write anything as ambiguous as this, because it just causes problems. (2 + (1 × 2)) - (4 × 6) would be a far better way to write it.

acabus said:
The generally accepted order of operations are BIDMAS (or BODMAS, same thing), which is:

So, brackets are computed first, then indices (powers), then division and multiplication have equal priority, and are done left to right, then addition and subtraction, which also have equal priority, are done left to right.

In real life, nobody should write anything as ambiguous as this, because it just causes problems. (2 + (1 × 2)) - (4 × 6) would be a far better way to write it.

Ahh ok i get it now.

Couldnt wrap my head around it or a second. Thank you. :)

Iccanui said:
acabus said:

Ahh ok i get it now.

Couldnt wrap my head around it or a second. Thank you. :)
I don't get it. Why is given expression ambiguous and why is your answer wrong?

I still don't get it. I'd bet everything that the expression evaluates to -20.

It does = -20

What I was doing was subtracting wrong.

I think my failure came from forgetting that you always go left to right, no matter what. I think I automatically subtracted 4 from 24 when what it's really saying is 24 from 4. In other terms, I was thinking 24-4 and it's plainly saying 4-24.

Yes, I'm very certain this is what happened. But to acabus point, had there been a parentheses around the 4x6 it would have been a little more clear. Which makes me feel better lol.

It's amazing all the reflexive math I'm running into. I never dealt with negative numbers in the jobs I've had, so when I see numbers like that, if I'm not slowing my mind down and thinking, I instinctively subtract small numbers from big numbers. Embarrassing to admit, but what can I say, I grew up how I grew up. I'm just glad I get a chance to advance my math to a functional level now. I just wish 15 year old me knew how cool math is. No one told me I could use it to fly to the moon or mars, or understand how the universe works, how planets and stars move in the sky. I might have paid more attention if they had.Hope that helps.

Integral said:
Please read this.

Thank you, that helped me understand acabus better. And a lesson for any expressions I right myself.

What is the order of operations for simplifying equations?

The order of operations for simplifying equations is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

What is the purpose of using the order of operations when simplifying equations?

The purpose of using the order of operations is to ensure that we follow a set of rules to simplify equations in a consistent and accurate manner. This helps to avoid confusion and errors when solving equations.

Can the order of operations be changed in simplifying equations?

No, the order of operations cannot be changed in simplifying equations. It is a standardized set of rules that must be followed to solve equations correctly.

What happens if the order of operations is not followed when simplifying equations?

If the order of operations is not followed when simplifying equations, the result will be incorrect. This is because changing the order of operations can change the outcome of an equation.

Are there any exceptions to the order of operations when simplifying equations?

There are no exceptions to the order of operations when simplifying equations. However, if there are multiple operations of the same rank (e.g. multiple addition or multiplication), they should be solved from left to right.