Kinetic energy of water pouring

In summary: The water flow from a faucet can release a surprising amount of kinetic energy, but when considering the slow movement of masses, the kinetic energy is relatively small. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kinetic energy from the flow of water from a faucet. The calculated kinetic energy for 5.6 liters of water was found to be 61.3mJ, which is smaller than expected due to the slow movement of the water. Comparisons were made to potential energy and the height from which the water is dropped.
kox
Hello. It's not a homework but it is kind of exercise. I was wondering what's the kinetic energy of water flow (for a certain amount) from a faucet. But I'm not sure if I got it right. So I counted how much volume of water is dropped in 30 seconds. It turned out it's about 5.6liters.
m=5.6kg // as 1 liter of water is almost 1kg
t=30s
l=1.256*10E-3m^2 // area of water dropping, cross-sectional area
Vol=5.6*10E-3m^3 // volume of water
Ek=mv^2/2
v=s/t
s=Vol/l
s=5.6*10E-3/1.256*10E-3 [m^3/m^2=m]
s=4.45m
v=4.45m/30s
v=0.148m/s
Ek=5.6kg*(0.148m/s)^2/2
Ek=5.6*0.0219kg*m^2/s^2
Ek=0.0613J
Ek=61.3mJ
So I got that pouring 5.6 liters of water realeses 61.3 milijoules. I thought it woul be a little more when I see water dropping at high pressure.
Did I get that right?
I don't know if I posted it in the right section. I'm ew here. It's not a homework but I'm afraid I would get my post deleted if I posted it in classic physics. Sorry I didn't use the template provided,but they didn't fit my post too good.

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy of slowly moving masses is tiny. You get the same kinetic energy if you drop the water by a height of just ~1mm.

I don't understand how is it equal to dropping water (how much?) from 1mm height? The water was dropping from more height and was at pressure. Could you explain?

In that case, some energy went to something else.

Dropping 5.6kg of water by a height of 1mm gives releases potential energy of mgh=5.6kg*10m/s2*0.001m = 0.056J = 56mJ.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your calculations on the kinetic energy of water pouring. Your approach is correct, and you have correctly calculated the kinetic energy of the water flow based on the given volume and time. However, it is important to note that the kinetic energy of the water flow will vary depending on factors such as the height from which the water is falling, the diameter of the faucet, and the pressure of the water flow.

In addition, the amount of kinetic energy may seem low because water is a relatively low-density material compared to other substances. However, when you consider the amount of water that is being released from a faucet in a given time, the total kinetic energy can add up quickly.

I would also like to mention that the kinetic energy of the water flow is only one aspect of the overall energy involved in the pouring process. There is also potential energy due to the height from which the water is falling and the energy required to pump the water to the faucet.

Overall, your calculations are correct, and it is always great to see individuals exploring and understanding the science behind everyday phenomena. Keep up the good work!

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and speed of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity or speed.

Does the shape of the pouring water affect its kinetic energy?

The shape of the pouring water does not directly affect its kinetic energy. However, the shape can impact the speed and direction of the water, which in turn can affect its kinetic energy.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of water pouring?

The kinetic energy of water pouring is affected by the mass of the water, the speed at which it is pouring, and the height from which it is pouring. Gravity also plays a role in determining the kinetic energy of falling water.

How is kinetic energy of water pouring used in everyday life?

The kinetic energy of water pouring is used in various applications, such as hydroelectric power generation, water turbines, and water wheels. It is also used in industries that rely on water for manufacturing processes, such as paper mills and textile factories.