Why is the pulse in picture 20130320182307.png positively chirped?

• Thread starter einstein1921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulse
In summary: This is essentially what's happening with a chirped pulse - it contains a wide range of frequencies, but they are all added together to create a shorter pulse.In summary, a positive chirped pulse has a frequency that increases as a function of time and contains a wide range of frequencies, resulting in a shorter pulse. The central frequency refers to the highest amplitude frequency in the pulse, and this can be measured using Fourier transform.
einstein1921
why the pulse is positively chirped pulse in picture 20130320182307.png ? thank you!
I also confused by another picture(20130320183049.png ).Does a femtosecond laser pulse contain a lot of wavelength?if so, a pulse should contains photons which have different energy. why we always say Ti:sappire laser is 800nm?thank you!

Attachments

• 20130320182307.png
    20130320182307.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 731
  • 20130320183049.png
    20130320183049.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
In a positive chirped pulse, the frequency increases as a function of time, such that a high frequency should lag behind a low, which seems to be contrary to what is plotted.

A pulse must contain many frequencies (only a continuous wave can be strictly monochromatic). And the shorter the pulse, the wider the frequency range, which can be seen by taking the Fourier transform. By the way, pulses where the frequency range is the narrowest possible are called "transform limited", but unless special care is taken in producing the pulses, the frequency range will be wider than the minimum.

When a specific wavelength is quote, it usually refers to the central frequency of the laser pulse.

DrClaude said:
In a positive chirped pulse, the frequency increases as a function of time, such that a high frequency should lag behind a low, which seems to be contrary to what is plotted.

A pulse must contain many frequencies (only a continuous wave can be strictly monochromatic). And the shorter the pulse, the wider the frequency range, which can be seen by taking the Fourier transform. By the way, pulses where the frequency range is the narrowest possible are called "transform limited", but unless special care is taken in producing the pulses, the frequency range will be wider than the minimum.

When a specific wavelength is quote, it usually refers to the central frequency of the laser pulse.

thank you for your answers! 1.why when a pulse is positive chirped, the high frequency should lag behind a low!
2.how to get the central frequency of a laser pulse?
thank you!

einstein1921 said:
1.why when a pulse is positive chirped, the high frequency should lag behind a low!
Writing the laser as a classical electromagnetic wave, a chirped pulse behaves as
[tex]
\propto \cos(\omega(t) t)
[/tex]
A positive chirp would be defined as
[tex]
\frac{d \omega}{dt} > 0
[/tex]
Therefore, highier frequencies appear later.

einstein1921 said:
2.how to get the central frequency of a laser pulse?
Do you mean how to measure it? I will leave that to more knowledgeable people (I'm not an experimentalist).

DrClaude said:
Writing the laser as a classical electromagnetic wave, a chirped pulse behaves as
[tex]
\propto \cos(\omega(t) t)
[/tex]
A positive chirp would be defined as
[tex]
\frac{d \omega}{dt} > 0
[/tex]
Therefore, highier frequencies appear later.

Do you mean how to measure it? I will leave that to more knowledgeable people (I'm not an experimentalist).

thank you,sir! the formule you typed display as \propto \cos(\omega(t) t) , so I can't read them correctly!Can you type them again!

einstein1921 said:
thank you,sir! the formule you typed display as \propto \cos(\omega(t) t) , so I can't read them correctly!Can you type them again!

Funny, comes out fine on my screen.

proportional to cos(ω(t) t)

DrClaude said:
Funny, comes out fine on my screen.

proportional to cos(ω(t) t)

we often represent the field of pulse:E(t)=Af(t)cos(wt),where f(t) is envelope.so it seems that there is only one frequency w. I know this is wrong, but I can't understand where are other frequencies. in picture 2 ,there are many frequency ,which one is central frequency? thank you!

einstein1921 said:
we often represent the field of pulse:E(t)=Af(t)cos(wt),where f(t) is envelope.so it seems that there is only one frequency w. I know this is wrong, but I can't understand where are other frequencies. in picture 2 ,there are many frequency ,which one is central frequency? thank you!

The other frequencies appear because the amplitude of the field is time dependent. Here, ω is the central frequency. But if you Fourier transform f(t) cos(ω t), you will find that the frequency spectrum is broaden by the presence of the envelope. In other words, if you had E(t) = A cos(ω t), the frequency spectrum would be a single line (delta function) at frequency ω. With the presence of f(t), this line is broaden into a wider peak, centered on ω (hence the name central frequency). The narrower the time domain of f(t), the wider the frequency range.

Hope this helps.

It is an interesting exercise to open some graphing software like MATLAB and plot a sine wave. Then add another sine wave with slightly different frequency and plot again. Continue to add more waves and observe what happens to the signal. You'll see that the more frequencies you add, the narrower the pulse becomes.

1. What is a positively chirped pulse?

A positively chirped pulse is a type of laser pulse that has a frequency that increases over time. This means that the peak of the pulse has a higher frequency than the beginning of the pulse.

2. What are the applications of positively chirped pulses?

Positively chirped pulses are used in a variety of applications, including laser-based medical procedures, material processing, and spectroscopy. They are also used in ultrafast optical communication systems and in the generation of attosecond pulses for studying ultrafast processes in matter.

3. How are positively chirped pulses created?

Positively chirped pulses are created using a technique called chirped pulse amplification (CPA). This involves stretching the pulse in time using a grating or prism, amplifying it, and then recompressing it using another grating or prism. This process results in a higher peak power and shorter pulse duration.

4. What are the advantages of using positively chirped pulses?

Positively chirped pulses have several advantages over other types of laser pulses. They have a higher peak power, which allows for more efficient material processing and better signal-to-noise ratio in spectroscopy. They also have shorter pulse durations, which make them ideal for studying ultrafast processes.

5. What are the potential limitations of using positively chirped pulses?

One potential limitation of using positively chirped pulses is that they can cause self-focusing in certain materials, which can lead to undesirable effects. Additionally, as the pulse duration decreases, the intensity of the pulse increases, which can cause damage to some materials. Careful consideration and optimization of pulse parameters is necessary to avoid these limitations.