Heat Equation with cylindrical rod

In summary, using cylindrical coordinates allows for boundary conditions at the outer radius, which makes the problem easier to solve.
baseball07
Hello, I am looking to apply to heat equation to a cylindrical rod and solving with explicit finite difference scheme. I have never worked with cylindrical coordinates before, what would be the best way to model this? I am having a hard time understanding the advantage of using cylindrical. Isn't it the same as if I "unrolled" it and took the problem as either a 2-D or 3-D planar geometry with the same surface area? Does anyone have any sample code I can see on how to implement?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, it is similar to a 2-D plane system, except the thickness is not constant, it is ##2\pi x## or ##2 \pi y## depending which axis is the the center line of the cylinder.

When you have set up the finite difference from the differential equation in cylindrical coordinates, you should be able to see how to replace the "variable thickness" terms in the difference scheme with a "constant thickness", and that will give you the exactly the same difference scheme as you used for a 2D plane problem.

This makes it easy to write one program that can solve both plane and axisymmetrcic problems, if you want to do that.

baseball07 said:
Hello, I am looking to apply to heat equation to a cylindrical rod and solving with explicit finite difference scheme. I have never worked with cylindrical coordinates before, what would be the best way to model this? I am having a hard time understanding the advantage of using cylindrical. Isn't it the same as if I "unrolled" it and took the problem as either a 2-D or 3-D planar geometry with the same surface area? Does anyone have any sample code I can see on how to implement?

The advantage in using cylindrical coordinates lies in applying the boundary conditions at the outer radius. In cylindrical coordinates, one of the coordinates at the boundary is constant (the radial coordinate), while, in cartesian coordinates, both x and y vary on the boundary, and worse yet, the grid points do not all lie on the boundary. To unroll the cylinder, you have to deform it, and this changes the geometry (and the solution).

I would also like to encourage you not to use an explicit finite difference scheme. I'm sure that this limits the size of the time step you can take for numerical stability. Please consider using an implicit scheme, which can easily be implemented using a tri-diagonal matrix solver.

Chet

Thank you for all the suggestions, I will look more deeply into the equations and post questions. As far as explicit stepping, I have some very basic 1-D code and was never able to rewrite it using crank nicholson. I was running into problems in that I did not know how to incorporate the Neumann BC into the matrix (the other is a dirichlet). If someone can help me with this, PM me and I can send you over my code.

With a Neumann condition, you know the value of a node depending on a neighboring value, e.g. for a N-node discretization on [0,R] with Neumann on the left boundary [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}|_{r=0} = 0[/itex]
[itex]u_{1}-u_{0}=0[/itex]
discretization for the diffusion term at node 1 is
[itex]u_{2} -2u_1 + u_{0}=0[/itex]
You can now replace this with the Neumann bc
[itex]u_{2} - 2u_1 + u_{1}=0[/itex], or:
[itex]u_{2} - u_1=0[/itex]

so your unknowns run from u_1...u_N.
If your favorite language starts counting at zero, it will be more convenient to place r=0 at node -1 so your unknowns run from u0..u_N-1

The Crank-Nicolson method is unconditionally stable for the heat equation and the explicit Euler is not (Explicit Euler is mainly used as a classroom example of a simple but bad numerical method).

1. What is the Heat Equation with cylindrical rod?

The Heat Equation with cylindrical rod is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat through a cylindrical rod. It takes into account the properties of the material, such as thermal conductivity and heat capacity, as well as the boundary conditions and initial temperature of the rod.

2. How is the Heat Equation with cylindrical rod derived?

The Heat Equation with cylindrical rod is derived from the basic principles of thermodynamics and Fourier's law of heat conduction. It is a partial differential equation that can be solved using various analytical or numerical methods.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Heat Equation with cylindrical rod?

The Heat Equation with cylindrical rod makes the following assumptions: the rod is a homogeneous and isotropic material, the temperature gradient is only in the radial direction, and there is no heat generation or external heat sources.

4. What are the applications of the Heat Equation with cylindrical rod?

The Heat Equation with cylindrical rod is commonly used in engineering and physics to study heat transfer in cylindrical structures, such as pipes, tubes, and rods. It is also used in the design and optimization of thermal systems, such as heat exchangers and reactors.

5. How can the Heat Equation with cylindrical rod be solved?

The Heat Equation with cylindrical rod can be solved using various techniques, including separation of variables, finite difference method, and finite element method. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.