Solving autonomous linear systems of differential/difference equations

In summary, the conversation is about methods for solving infinite linear autonomous systems of first-order differential equations. The speaker is looking for references to literature and mentions a Russian book on the topic. Others suggest alternative references, including "On Infinite Systems of Linear Autonomous and Nonautonomous Stochastic Equations" by T. S. Rybnikova and "Solution of an Infinite System of Differential Equations of the Analytic Type" by F. R. Moulton. The conversation also touches on using Stack Exchange and other online resources for math research.
jozko.slaninka
I would like to ask if anybody knows something about the methods of solving infinite linear autonomous systems of first-order differential (or possibly difference) equations.

There is a well-known method for solving finite-dimensional systems based on the computation of eigenvalues of the system matrix. I wonder if something similar can be done also for infinite-dimensional systems. Perhaps there is a method based on spectral theory...

I am mainly looking for references to literature. I have found a reference to a Russian book:

K.G. Valeev, O.A. Zhautykov, "Infinite systems of differential equations". (this is an English translation of the title)

However, I am quite unable to find this book in local libraries, nor to find out what matters are dealt with in it. If anyone knows this book, I would be grateful for any alternative references dealing with similar matters. As well as for any other references.

Physics news on Phys.org
jozko.slaninka said:
I would like to ask if anybody knows something about the methods of solving infinite linear autonomous systems of first-order differential (or possibly difference) equations.

There is a well-known method for solving finite-dimensional systems based on the computation of eigenvalues of the system matrix. I wonder if something similar can be done also for infinite-dimensional systems. Perhaps there is a method based on spectral theory...

I am mainly looking for references to literature. I have found a reference to a Russian book:

K.G. Valeev, O.A. Zhautykov, "Infinite systems of differential equations". (this is an English translation of the title)

However, I am quite unable to find this book in local libraries, nor to find out what matters are dealt with in it. If anyone knows this book, I would be grateful for any alternative references dealing with similar matters. As well as for any other references.
I've found, after cursory inspection...

The book Numerical-Analytical Methods in the Theory of Boundary-Value Problems by N. Nikolai Iosifovich Ronto and A. Anatolii Mikhailovich Samoilenko references K.G. Valeev and O.A. Zhautykov's work on infinite systems. That may be a good stop if you can't find their book firsthand.

Mandelbroth said:
I've found, after cursory inspection...

The book Numerical-Analytical Methods in the Theory of Boundary-Value Problems by N. Nikolai Iosifovich Ronto and A. Anatolii Mikhailovich Samoilenko references K.G. Valeev and O.A. Zhautykov's work on infinite systems. That may be a good stop if you can't find their book firsthand.

Thanks a lot!

jozko.slaninka said:
Thanks a lot!
You're most certainly welcome. Math is interesting! :biggrin:

I am familiar with the methods for solving finite-dimensional systems of differential or difference equations, but I am not as well versed in the methods for solving infinite-dimensional systems. However, I do know that there are methods based on spectral theory that can be used for solving such systems. These methods involve studying the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system matrix, similar to the approach used for finite-dimensional systems.

One potential reference for this topic is the book "Infinite-Dimensional Linear Systems Theory" by João P. Hespanha. This book covers various methods for solving infinite-dimensional linear systems, including spectral theory and operator semigroups.

Another useful resource is the paper "Solving Infinite-Dimensional Linear Systems Using Spectral Theory" by Michal Kocvara and Jan Vlcek. This paper discusses different approaches for solving infinite-dimensional systems, including spectral methods, and provides numerical examples.

Lastly, I would also recommend checking out relevant journal articles and conference proceedings in the field of differential equations and spectral theory for more specific and current information on solving autonomous linear systems of differential or difference equations.

1. What is an autonomous linear system of differential/difference equations?

An autonomous linear system of differential/difference equations is a set of equations that involve the derivatives or differences of one or more variables, where the coefficients of these variables are constant. These equations are called autonomous because they do not depend on time or independent variables.

2. How do you solve an autonomous linear system of differential/difference equations?

To solve an autonomous linear system of differential/difference equations, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the variables and solve for their values.

3. What is the difference between a differential equation and a difference equation?

A differential equation involves derivatives of a continuous function, while a difference equation involves differences of a discrete function. In other words, differential equations deal with continuous changes, while difference equations deal with discrete changes.

4. Can an autonomous linear system of differential/difference equations have more than one solution?

Yes, an autonomous linear system of differential/difference equations can have more than one solution. In fact, these systems often have infinitely many solutions, as they involve multiple variables and can be solved by setting different initial conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving autonomous linear systems of differential/difference equations?

Autonomous linear systems of differential/difference equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze dynamic systems. They can be used to predict the behavior of systems over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.