Possibility of million entangled photons

In summary, entangled photon-pairs are produced through Spontaneous Parametric Down Conversion in labs, while gamma photons in the core of the sun are not converted into low-energy photons through this process and are not generally entangled. The source provided for this information is the 'core' section of the Wikipedia article on the Sun, which contains references to peer-reviewed materials. The claim that gamma photons split into low-energy photons is not scientifically supported and does not follow the established rules of empirical, stable, and demonstrable protocol.
Romulo Binuya
Entangled photon-pairs are being produced in labs with 'Spontaneous Parametric Down Conversion' apparatus. While in the core of our sun gamma photons are being produced through nuclear fusion which then down-converted into myriad of low-energy photons. Is it possible that those myriad of low-energy photons which came from a single gamma photon are entangled?

Science news on Phys.org
While in the core of our sun gamma photons are being produced through nuclear fusion which then down-converted into myriad of low-energy photons.
This is a completely different process, and it does not produce entangled photons.
Is it possible that those myriad of low-energy photons which came from a single gamma photon are entangled?
No. That is not even a well-defined set. You cannot point to a photon and say "this came from photon x in the core" (even if we neglect practical problems).

Likes 1 person
Romulo Binuya said:
While in the core of our sun gamma photons are being produced through nuclear fusion which then down-converted into myriad of low-energy photons.

This is strange. Please provide references to back this claim.

Zz.

There 187 references in the 'Sun' article of the wikipedia and some external links wherein peer reviewed resources could be chosen. That quote was paraphrased from the 'core' section of the aforementioned sun article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

They are not "down converted" into lower energy photons. They are simply absorbed, and then part of that energy is re-emitted as lower energy photons. I saw nothing in the article from wikipedia that had anything to do with Spontaneous Parametric Down Conversion.

"Each gamma ray in the Sun's core is converted into several million photons of visible light before escaping into space"... copied from the last paragraph of the 'core' section of the aforementioned wikipedia sun article. If that is incorrect, somebody qualified must edit it asap before it mislead some kids.

I just mentioned SPDC apparatus to remind everyone about the concept of photon splitting before we dive into the sun's core.

Romulo Binuya said:
"Each gamma ray in the Sun's core is converted into several million photons of visible light before escaping into space"... copied from the last paragraph of the 'core' section of the aforementioned wikipedia sun article. If that is incorrect, somebody qualified must edit it asap before it mislead some kids.

If you are using Wikipedia as your primary source of information, you should be worried.

Zz.

That's why those who are earnest in their research must sift through the reference section of the article and chose appropriate peer-reviewed materials.

Romulo Binuya said:
That's why those who are earnest in their research must sift through the reference section of the article and chose appropriate peer-reviewed materials.

I could say the same to you. Why don't you pick an "appropriate peer-reviewed" material, and use that as a reference, rather than a blanket link to a Wikipedia entry?

Zz.

Who knows maybe there is someone here who is really in helio physics who is qualified to refute or confirm my statements, and provide a widely accepted reference in that field of research.

Romulo Binuya said:
No, those who are "earnest in their research" would be researching peer-reviewed materials to begin with! I cannot imagine any "earnest" researcher going to Wikipedia for research- any more than to a dictionary or encyclopedia.

Romulo Binuya said:
Who knows maybe there is someone here who is really in helio physics who is qualified to refute or confirm my statements, and provide a widely accepted reference in that field of research.

No, it doesn't work that way, and certainly it doesn't work that way in science.

If you have something, then YOU are the one who has to convinced the rest of us that it is valid. It is NOT our responsibility to prove you wrong.

The problem here is that my request for you to show supporting sources has not been fulfilled. Pointing to some vague Wikipedia entry does not pass in scientific publishing, and yes, we DO require in this forum that the quality of our discussion approaches as closely to scientific discussion as possible.

Either you immediately provide valid references here, or this thread is done. You have been given SEVERAL chances to do this already.

Zz.

I use Wikipedia and dictionaries often. But I agree that the onus is on Romulo to follow the forum rules.

The photons coming from the sun are not generally entangled. Drakkith explained why in post 5.

Yes, science is about the established rules of empirical, stable and demonstrable protocol. Gamma photon splitting into myriads of low-energy photons is unfalsifiable hence not science. It's okay to me if you remove this post :-)

1. What are entangled photons?

Entangled photons are a pair of photons that are generated together and share a strong connection, even when separated by large distances. This connection is known as quantum entanglement and it allows the photons to share properties such as spin, polarization, and momentum.

2. How many entangled photons are needed to reach a million?

To reach a million entangled photons, a minimum of 500,000 pairs of entangled photons are needed. This is because each pair only counts as one entangled photon, even though it consists of two individual photons.

3. What is the significance of a million entangled photons?

A million entangled photons have the potential to greatly enhance the capabilities of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. This is because more entangled photons means a larger number of quantum states that can be manipulated and utilized for these purposes.

4. Is it possible to create and maintain a million entangled photons?

Yes, it is possible to create and maintain a million entangled photons. However, it is a complex and challenging task that requires advanced technology and precise control over experimental conditions. Currently, scientists are able to create and maintain thousands of entangled photons, but reaching a million is still a difficult feat.

5. What are the potential applications of a million entangled photons?

A million entangled photons have the potential to revolutionize various fields such as quantum communication, quantum sensing, and quantum information processing. They can also be used for secure communication and high-precision measurements in fields such as astronomy, biology, and chemistry.