Ok easy algebra kicking my kids butt and im new to this again

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation 4(2-6y)+7=3(5-7y) and the value of y that will make it true. The correct solution is y=0 and the conversation also discusses a mistake in the calculations and the importance of completing the line 24y+21y=0 in order to find the solution.
thomas576
4(2-6y)+7=3(5-7y)
ok this is problem i will try solve can you verify because i don't think 3y is an answer! please help me

8-24y+7=15-21y
15-24y=15-21y
24y-21y
3y ?

hows this work?

edited because the 1st responder pointed out a sign error i made thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake in you calculation, 15-21y is not equal to 15+21y.

your calculation is wrong. But, what are the instructions? i mean, are u trying to solve for y? And if ur solving for why, u need to clear it, leave y alone

Last edited:
thomas576 said:
4(2-6y)+7=3(5-7y)
ok this is problem i will try solve can you verify because i don't think 43y is an answer! please help me

8-24y+7=15-21y
15-24y=15+21y

Oops, you switched a sign on the right side...

15 - 24y = 15 - 21y

24y+21y

That line isn't complete: (also fixing the sign mistake above)

0 = 24y - 21y
0 = 3y

Now, what's the only value of y that can make that true? :smile:

directions say

soulve the equation so i assume solve for y, most other of his problems are solving for some x or y value i.e. x=this or that

Edit: This information has already been posted.

He is probably trying to solve for the variable y. In his calculations above, he also forgot to complete the line "24y+21y" (which is incorrect) and show that it equals zero.

Your algebra is fine and the only solution is y=0.Can u see why?

Daniel.

it would have to be 0

i am going to say 0 and thanks for helping on old guy with kids homework, helps keep the brain on all cylinders :)

What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with manipulating symbols and equations to solve problems. It is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for many fields, such as science and engineering.

What are some common challenges with learning algebra?

Some common challenges with learning algebra include understanding abstract concepts, memorizing formulas and rules, and applying them to different types of problems.

How can I help my child with algebra?

Encourage your child to practice regularly, provide them with additional resources or tutoring if needed, and show them real-life applications of algebra to make it more relatable and interesting.

What are some tips for beginners learning algebra?

Start by mastering basic arithmetic operations, familiarize yourself with algebraic symbols and notation, and practice solving problems step by step to build confidence and understanding.

How can I overcome my own struggles with algebra as an adult?

Don't be afraid to ask for help from a tutor or online resources, start with the basics and build a strong foundation, and stay motivated by setting achievable goals and celebrating progress.