Exploring Atomic Models: Thomson, Rutherford, and Bohr

In summary, the conversation is discussing the failure of the Thomson model of the atom to predict large scattering angles, as observed in the Rutherford scattering experiment. The Thomson model predicts small scattering angles, but the Rutherford formula shows that some particles are deflected at larger angles. The conversation also briefly mentions other models of the atom, such as the Rutherford and Bohr models, and the structure of atoms and molecules.
ColdFusion85
I am to explain whether the Thomson model of the atom fails at large scattering angles or at small ones...I obviously don't want the answer, but just some hints as to how I would determine this. Thanks in advance.

I know that the Thomson model predicts that there should be less than 1 degree of deflection for the alpha particles as they pass through the foil, and the Rutherford scattering formula shows that the number of particles that get deflected with respect to their scattering angle decreases as the scattering angle increases...so I am inclined to think that the Thomson model fails for large scattering angles...but the Rutherford formula clearly shows that most particles do get deflected at smaller angles, albeit not 1 degree...so isn't this agreeing with Thomson anyway? I am confused, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ColdFusion85 said:
I am to explain whether the Thomson model of the atom fails at large scattering angles or at small ones...I obviously don't want the answer, but just some hints as to how I would determine this. Thanks in advance.

I know that the Thomson model predicts that there should be less than 1 degree of deflection for the alpha particles as they pass through the foil, and the Rutherford scattering formula shows that the number of particles that get deflected with respect to their scattering angle decreases as the scattering angle increases...so I am inclined to think that the Thomson model fails for large scattering angles...but the Rutherford formula clearly shows that most particles do get deflected at smaller angles, albeit not 1 degree...so isn't this agreeing with Thomson anyway? I am confused, please help.
I think the question is asking: what observed scattering angles does the Thomson model fail to predict?

AM

Anyone else? Please help, this is due this afternoon.

ColdFusion85 said:
Anyone else? Please help, this is due this afternoon.
It is not that difficult. If the Thomson model predicts small scattering angles and experiment shows that some alpha particles are deflected at small scattering angles, then it doesn't fail at small scattering angles. What the Thomson model does not predict or explain is an alpha particle scattering at large angles. Thomson's model, then, fails to predict the large angle scattering that was actually observed by Rutherford.

AM

is anybody having details of
structure of atom
nuetrons
protons
electrons
thomas model of atom
rutherford model of atom
bohr model of atom
atoms molecules
valencies table

What is the Thomson Model of the Atom?

The Thomson Model of the Atom was proposed by British physicist J.J. Thomson in 1904. It describes the atom as a positively charged sphere with negatively charged electrons embedded in it, similar to plums in a pudding. This model was later disproven by the Rutherford Model of the Atom.

How did Thomson come up with this model?

Thomson conducted experiments using cathode ray tubes and discovered the existence of negatively charged particles, which he called electrons. He then proposed his model based on the idea that the atom must be electrically neutral and composed of both positive and negative charges.

What were the limitations of the Thomson Model of the Atom?

One of the major limitations of this model was that it could not explain the stability of the atom. According to classical electromagnetic theory, a charged particle moving in a circular orbit would lose energy and eventually collapse into the nucleus. This contradicted the observed stability of atoms.

How was the Thomson Model disproved?

The Rutherford Model of the Atom, proposed by Ernest Rutherford in 1911, disproved the Thomson Model by conducting the famous gold foil experiment. This experiment showed that most of an atom's mass and positive charge is concentrated in a tiny, dense nucleus at the center, with electrons orbiting around it.

Why is the Thomson Model still important in the history of atomic theory?

The Thomson Model was the first model to propose the existence of subatomic particles within the atom, specifically the electron. It also laid the foundation for further experiments and models that eventually led to our current understanding of atomic structure. Thus, it holds an important place in the history of atomic theory.