Neutron degenerate matter as dark matter

In summary: It seems that the next experiment could be the turning point in confirming or disproving the existence of a solid phase of neutron matter.
jal
I could not find much info on neutron degenerate matter. Only in reference to neutron stars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_matter
neutron degenerate matter

Has anyone looked at the possible properties of a neuton liquid or solid to determine if it could act as dark matter?
jal

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi george!
Everytime I look at your posts, I always wonder if that is your picture on a bad hair day.
hehehe
I agree, "According to the standard cosmological model, the majority of dark matter is not normal matter."
However, it appears that a neuton liquid or solid is not "normal matter".
I would like to know more on what has been postulated on a neuton liquid or solid.
jal

Degenerate matter such as in Neutron stars requires enormous density to exist. This can only happen in very dense collapsed objects held together by the mutual gravitational pull of the object. A lump of degenerate matter the mass (but not the size) of the Earth could not exist, it would spontaneously expand due to the nuclear repulsions of the material and no longer be in the same form.

Now, if it say we wanted to know whether Dark Matter was in fact many Neutron stars that are not emitting any radiation ( unlike say Pulsars ) we could look to surveys such as MACHO that have consistently shown that dark matter is not compact. Whatever Dark Matter is it is not clumpy, but rather a diffuse material, most likely a WIMP (Weakly Interacting Massive Particle).

In summary it has been considered whether Dark Matter could be neutron star type objects and it looks as though this has been ruled out by observations.

Hi Wallace!
I would hate to be the one trying to place WIMP in the periodic chart.

However, when reading about the research concerning solid hydrogen and solid neutrons, it appears that there is expectation that the next experiment could be the turning point in creating a solid phase.

Following this line of reasoning and the possibilities it would give another explanation to the big bang, and dark matter.
I'll post my speculation in my blog.
jal

1. What is neutron degenerate matter?

Neutron degenerate matter is a state of matter that occurs when the pressure of a neutron star is so high that the electrons in the star's core are forced to combine with protons, creating a sea of neutrons.

2. How does neutron degenerate matter relate to dark matter?

Neutron degenerate matter is one of the proposed explanations for dark matter, a type of matter that is believed to make up about 27% of the universe. It is thought that neutron degenerate matter could account for a significant portion of the missing mass in the universe.

3. How is neutron degenerate matter different from regular matter?

Neutron degenerate matter is different from regular matter in several ways. It has an extremely high density, with a teaspoon of neutron degenerate matter weighing around 100 million tons. Additionally, it is much more stable than regular matter, as the neutrons are held together by the strong nuclear force rather than the electromagnetic force.

4. What evidence supports the existence of neutron degenerate matter as dark matter?

One of the main lines of evidence for neutron degenerate matter as dark matter is the observation of gravitational lensing, which occurs when the gravity of a massive object bends the path of light from a more distant object. This phenomenon can be explained by the presence of a large amount of mass, such as neutron degenerate matter, in the lensing object.

5. Are there any other proposed explanations for dark matter?

Yes, there are several other proposed explanations for dark matter, including WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles), axions, and modified gravity theories. However, neutron degenerate matter remains a strong contender as it fits well with our current understanding of physics and cosmology.