Option 12: What Happens After Death?

• Thread starter alexsok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the options above influence our expectations of everlasting life in this world; those options that presume to hold any promise of life beyond death weaken the motivation to seek effective solutions to (1) optimal health, (2) "successful" aging, and (3) dramatic life and health extension.

Death is...

• Oblivion

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • A Portal Mystery

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • A Chance to Roam the Earth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another Chance at Reincarnation

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • My Ticket to Nirvana

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • A Gateway to Heaven or Hell

Votes: 18 8.8%
  • A Transition to Another Simulation

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • A Bridge to Another Realm

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • I Honestly Don't Know

Votes: 55 27.0%
  • I Don't Know and I Don't Care

Votes: 27 13.2%

• Total voters
Duck1987 said:
We don't know what comes after death, but we have a pretty good reason to believe that there is nothing. I believe in God, but most of the time I just can't help but think about the nothingness that follows after my death

Would you say that nothingness preceeded your birth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Esnas said:
Would you say that nothingness preceeded your birth?

yes, but now that I have gotten to live, I can imagine what nothingness is compared to me, and it frightens me. if someone asked me :Would I rather not exist at all, I would say "Hell yes".

The reason I don't want to have kids is because they will die one day, and I don't want that

there are 2 ways to beat death
1. not to have life at all, becuase life also gives death which is stronger than life
2. and convince yourself that death is not the end, and that is what religion does

To all people, who say: "life is one, and I try to make the best of it", well excuse me, what the heck are you doing here then?

if the above statement is true, then you all should donate the money to the children in Africa, volunteer at a Hospital, and generally make life better for yourself and the others, that is what "the best of my ability" means, sitting here and typing such vain words is absurd.

The best that MOST people CAN do on this Earth is just produce babies, and that is it, and at the end of our lives we say "Well I did all of this, my job here is done" - Bull****, if only we lived for much much longer we WOULD achieve more, we WOULD educate more, we WOULD learn all the languages and crafts, but since we only have around 80 years, the best most of us can do is to have a family.

I myself is often discouraged to learn more than I actually have to just because all my knowledge will disappear once I die, instead I go out with my girlfriend, I spent MUCH less time on homework, I eat food that I like, and at the end of my life, I will say "Wow, I made it, without spending so much time reading and studying, I did what I had to get to college and I have learned what I had to get a job, and to think of all that fun time I had when I was young, yes that was a good life, whatever greatness I had or would have achieved will not matter to me, for I will not be here, life is short and life sucks, I had fun, yes, but I would rather not exist at all so that I would have never known how short and at the same time beautiful this life really is..."

"to make the BEST of life" is to create a vaccine against cancer and aids, to save a human being, to invent something significant, to attent peace demonstrations, to protect the innocent and the hungry, somehow I get the feeling that people who say that actually even try to do those things

Is death really all that important? It happens to us all eventually, and there is no way to avoid it. Dying is a fact of life. We have no datum concerning what happens after that, and I would be very surprised if we ever did.

madphysics said:
Is death really all that important? It happens to us all eventually, and there is no way to avoid it. Dying is a fact of life. We have no datum concerning what happens after that, and I would be very surprised if we ever did.

yes, death is important and IT IS the cold cruel and merciless fact of life

Part of my thinks that its oblivion because I'm not into lots of supernatural stuff. However, I would love to believe that it is the fourth dimension, so I answered a bridge to another realm.

How cheesy is that.

madphysics said:

Death is part of life. Life, enmass, does not continue without death. Next time you eat vegetables think about the amount of dieing that went into creating the compost that nourishes the vegies. And the vegies have to die to nourish us. And we have to die or completely overcrowd the Earth like a big cancer tumour.

The precise reason cancer develops is because of a genetic mutation. A gene, the P52 gene, creates a condition that kills the cell it is regulating at a specific point during development.

When there is a mutation that shuts down the P52 gene, the cell becomes what is called an "immortal cell". The immortal cell passes its mutation to all of its "offspring" cells and this is what we call the beginning of a tumour.

So, in the case of a cell, dieing is very important to the organism it supports.

And, by way of nature, we die at an (approximately) specific time as well. If we became immortal humans, diversity and species-survival would become extinct. This is because, while the environment continued to change, we would not evolve (from generation to generation) to match the changes. So, at a specific point, the environment would get the better of our homogeneous, unevolved and fragile but "immortal" species.

But this seems to be a thead about "what happens after life"? None of the available options answered the question for me. I'd say that the electromagnetic signature you set up while you're alive continues on for a while after death.

How long this em signature remains in action depends on the type of signature it is. Some of them can last for thousands of years and some are "gone" on the impact of death.

I think it has to do with how much importance a person places on "being alive" or on things that take place during their life. The more importance that is placed on events, the more one engraves their em signature into the physical nature of their environment.

Last edited:
madphysics said:

Baywax has pointed out some good reasons why death is important. I don't know anything about the P52 gene but what baywax says sounds reasonable to me. I've been told that prokaryotic cells are not programmed to die and so would theoretically divide forever except predators and adverse environment kill them off.

Death is also important because so much of what we humans do is based on a desire to escape it. Sex and postponement of death are very strong motivating factors - perhaps the strongest! Even rivalry for and pursuit of power is based on a desire for security and permanency vis-à-vis death.

Esnas said:
Baywax has pointed out some good reasons why death is important. I don't know anything about the P52 gene but what baywax says sounds reasonable to me. I've been told that prokaryotic cells are not programmed to die and so would theoretically divide forever except predators and adverse environment kill them off.

Death is also important because so much of what we humans do is based on a desire to escape it. Sex and postponement of death are very strong motivating factors - perhaps the strongest! Even rivalry for and pursuit of power is based on a desire for security and permanency vis-à-vis death.

Interesting that you point to the prokaryotic cell. Simply stated, prokaryotes are molecules surrounded by a membrane and cell wall. An evolutionary example of early life.

You seem to be saying that death is important because it motivates us to stay alive. I'm not sure if the "survival instinct" is a result of the fear of death. If we look at the prokaryote cell, its doesn't have a central nervous system, it doesn't even have sexual reproductive capabilities. It certainly does not crave security and permanency yet it displays an "instinct for survival". This is evident in its ability to perform photosynthesis, as in... nourish itself in order to survive. In some cases prokaryotes are mobile... able to maintain survival by moving away from or toward stimulus it either wants or rejects by way of flagella that evolved into the cell wall of some of these cells. But I highly doubt the prokaryote is aware of "death" as a "threat" to its survival. It has somehow, naturally developed a propensity to survive.

It would be an interesting excercise to try and trace back to the origin of the "survival instinct". Is it a universal phenomenon? Does it apply to both living and non-living entities? Is what we see as the "survival instinct" a reflection of the tendency for all phenomena to... "survive"?

Last edited:
madphysics said:
Is death really all that important?

To whom?

Yes, to some, not so much to others.

Many cultures have viewed the way a person dies to be symbolic of their life. Dying well, or even the 'right to die' as one chooses is something that affects us all.

Biologically, it seems advantageous, as we tend to get damaged as we age and making way for those who are stronger, less worn out, would be an advantage in terms of our genes surviving.

On a more basic level, most living things that have existed in the history of the world died without ever reproducing. The continuity of life, on that basis, is almost an aberration. We see life as having importance, only because life that doesn't select for survival, is no longer around. We value life, biologically and culturally because we evolved to. If we hadn't we wouldn't be here.

I think those who wish to live forever would be very disappointed with that reality. And on one last note, how we view death, can have a very big influence on how we live.

baywax said:
Death is part of life. Life, enmass, does not continue without death. Next time you eat vegetables think about the amount of dieing that went into creating the compost that nourishes the vegies. And the vegies have to die to nourish us. And we have to die or completely overcrowd the Earth like a big cancer tumour..

And what's wrong with everyone being immortal? We would just have to stop producing babies, its as simple as that, producing babies should not be the primal function of any human, and since I never complained before I was born, nobody will complain as well. But now that I have gotten to live, I must face death which will eventually take away my life.

baywax said:
But this seems to be a thead about "what happens after life"? None of the available options answered the question for me. I'd say that the electromagnetic signature you set up while you're alive continues on for a while after death.

How long this em signature remains in action depends on the type of signature it is. Some of them can last for thousands of years and some are "gone" on the impact of death.

I think it has to do with how much importance a person places on "being alive" or on things that take place during their life. The more importance that is placed on events, the more one engraves their em signature into the physical nature of their environment..

What do you mean by electro-magnetic signature? Do you mean that we are closely connected to Earth and other celestial bodies because they exert EM pressure on us? WE do feel it sometimes though, for example when someone has a headache of feet ache before the rain starts? But is that a blueprint for the soul?

baywax said:
Interesting that you point to the prokaryotic cell. Simply stated, prokaryotes are molecules surrounded by a membrane and cell wall. An evolutionary example of early life.

You seem to be saying that death is important because it motivates us to stay alive. I'm not sure if the "survival instinct" is a result of the fear of death. If we look at the prokaryote cell, its doesn't have a central nervous system, it doesn't even have sexual reproductive capabilities. It certainly does not crave security and permanency yet it displays an "instinct for survival". This is evident in its ability to perform photosynthesis, as in... nourish itself in order to survive. In some cases prokaryotes are mobile... able to maintain survival by moving away from or toward stimulus it either wants or rejects by way of flagella that evolved into the cell wall of some of these cells. But I highly doubt the prokaryote is aware of "death" as a "threat" to its survival. It has somehow, naturally developed a propensity to survive.

It would be an interesting excercise to try and trace back to the origin of the "survival instinct". Is it a universal phenomenon? Does it apply to both living and non-living entities? Is what we see as the "survival instinct" a reflection of the tendency for all phenomena to... "survive"?

The survival instinct certainly applies to every intelligent thing, including the animals, we are, on the other hand are so evolved and conscious, that it makes us being aware of our ultimate doom - death, when the our whole personal universe collapses. That is a strong feeling, I don't believe in can ever be rooted out by anything, even religious people sometimes have doubts, including me, and if they say they don't they are lying.

"The Ultimate Concern", as Tillich pointed out is necessary for human beings because every religion is based on the fear of death, not so much on God who cares for us in the present, it is SOLELY the fear of death, and I don't believe that there is any efficient way to avoid that fear EXCEPT to have a really bad and sad life, of which you don't expect anything. When you come to a point when you despise life and you get rid of any thought of having another life after this one and you are about to end it all after you jump from the Empire State Building, then you have beaten death, because you stop being afraid of it.

Duck1987 said:
is that a blueprint for the soul?

Could be. I've never built one or even seen one. I read the word "soul" once in a while but I don't know what it is.

Duck1987 said:
The survival instinct certainly applies to every intelligent thing, including the animals, we are, on the other hand are so evolved and conscious, that it makes us being aware of our ultimate doom - death, when the our whole personal universe collapses. That is a strong feeling, I don't believe in can ever be rooted out by anything, even religious people sometimes have doubts, including me, and if they say they don't they are lying.

"The Ultimate Concern", as Tillich pointed out is necessary for human beings because every religion is based on the fear of death, not so much on God who cares for us in the present, it is SOLELY the fear of death, and I don't believe that there is any efficient way to avoid that fear EXCEPT to have a really bad and sad life, of which you don't expect anything. When you come to a point when you despise life and you get rid of any thought of having another life after this one and you are about to end it all after you jump from the Empire State Building, then you have beaten death, because you stop being afraid of it.

What you're saying makes sense. I prefer to simplify it all and I figure that, with death being a part of life, when a person is able to accept life they accept the fact that death comes with it.

Too much marketing on the telly, in politics and so forth, is creating a fear of life. "Orange alert"!, duct tape and plastic your house now! take this pill to avoid HERPES!... IF you experience anxiety... take this pill!... if you're not experiencing 8 hour-long hard-ons, you're not alive... take this pill today...

Then there is the other side that pushing a fear of death... you know... like CANCER... or AIDS or BAD BRAKES or TERRORISM... those Afgans are teaching their camels to swim so prepare to DIE... and so on... so... there is a tendency to try and get the population between a rock and a hard place... life is scarey... death is scarey... whoo whoo... what are you going to do? Believe Jimmy Swagart? Believe Jimmy Baker or Tammy Fay? Believe Pat Robinson? Believe the grandson of a Nazi supporter? Believe the ex-Nazi Youth of a Pope?? What ever you do... don't believe yourself! So... as usual, the only option is to buck authority in a civilized manner as far as I can tell.

baywax said:
What you're saying makes sense. I prefer to simplify it all and I figure that, with death being a part of life, when a person is able to accept life they accept the fact that death comes with it.

Too much marketing on the telly, in politics and so forth, is creating a fear of life. "Orange alert"!, duct tape and plastic your house now! take this pill to avoid HERPES!... IF you experience anxiety... take this pill!... if you're not experiencing 8 hour-long hard-ons, you're not alive... take this pill today...

Then there is the other side that pushing a fear of death... you know... like CANCER... or AIDS or BAD BRAKES or TERRORISM... those Afgans are teaching their camels to swim so prepare to DIE... and so on... so... there is a tendency to try and get the population between a rock and a hard place... life is scarey... death is scarey... whoo whoo... what are you going to do? Believe Jimmy Swagart? Believe Jimmy Baker or Tammy Fay? Believe Pat Robinson? Believe the grandson of a Nazi supporter? Believe the ex-Nazi Youth of a Pope?? What ever you do... don't believe yourself! So... as usual, the only option is to buck authority in a civilized manner as far as I can tell.

"What you don't know, can kill you"; Killer "African" bees are more aggressive to more gentle "European" bees, BEWARE; printers are dangerous, ACs; aerosol; expected Terrorists attack; bird flu; some other made up disease - PLEASE buy this and depend on us! your government, and we will save you (keep your ****ing mouth shut and do what you are told) - that is the subliminal message.

I hate commercials and I can't stand politicians, nowadays a politician and a liar is practically the same thing - they are synonims.

The American government went to **** after Roosevel, with Trumans barbaric A-boms and the Cold war which included arms funding for the warring African nations, there was and is so much dirty politics and propagande that the only reason the American government is in power today is because of stupid fat rednecks

Duck1987 said:
The American government went to **** after Roosevel, with Trumans barbaric A-boms and the Cold war which included arms funding for the warring African nations, there was and is so much dirty politics and propagande that the only reason the American government is in power today is because of stupid fat rednecks

Think about Mark Twain or the originals like Ben Franklin, back when when honour was as important as your next meal. With examples like these people, their families and their ideals, America could make it out of this rather dark age.

Death is like life, only different and more enduring. The universe was 13.7 billion years old before I was born, and will probably outlast me. I've pondered the reason for this, but the reason does not appear interested in my opinions.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. What you are saying is true i every aspect. I was focusing on the fact of death in human culture, and despite the fact that many people find it important, and attempt to escape it, there is really no good tested method so far. Religion is a common doorway, but like I said before, there is really not that much conclusive data in that field, so let's not go into it.

Yes, death is a fact of life. In essence, a part of the natural rotation of nature.

Thank you for correcting me. I have a problem with clearly stating things in my posts.

JoeDawg said:
Belief in god is based on fear and ignorance. Deism is based on rationalization of that fear and lack of knowledge, not reason. It suffers no less from contradiction. Claims that an 'eternal' (a truly nonsensical concept) creator exists, based on the idea that causality demands a cause for every effect, simply shows how contradictory the idea of a creator god is. Deism begs the question of gods existence, it doesn't address it.
Nonsense. Just because you cannot comprehend an eternal being doesn't make it a contradictory impossibility.

You clearly have no understanding of what Deism is. You can rationalize that which we know (the constants and so on - X) to determine the case for a creator but you cannot go on to rationalize the creator because you have nothing to work from as X is now absent and instead you are left with Y.

Last edited:
Luke987 said:
Nonsense. Just because you cannot comprehend an eternal being doesn't make it a contradictory impossibility.

I never said that. It has nothing to do with me. It has nothing to do with whether I can comprehend anything. Deism is self-contradicting.

The only reason to posit an 'eternal creator' is if one assumes that a first cause is needed. And first cause is simply the cheat used to get out of infinite regression that would be needed if the universe required 'creation'. Its a circular argument, not one that is difficult to comprehend at all.

There is no rational basis for a 'creator', believing in one is entirely irrational. And even if a first cause does exist, there is no reason to assume it was some form of conscious agency, which is implicit in the idea of gods.

Deism is no better than any other supernatural belief system.

The only reason to believe in god is that you want to believe.

madphysics said:
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. What you are saying is true i every aspect. I was focusing on the fact of death in human culture, and despite the fact that many people find it important, and attempt to escape it, there is really no good tested method so far. Religion is a common doorway, but like I said before, there is really not that much conclusive data in that field, so let's not go into it.

Yes, death is a fact of life. In essence, a part of the natural rotation of nature.

Thank you for correcting me. I have a problem with clearly stating things in my posts.

You needed no correction because its true that today we are well aware of an end to life. And that provides a huge momentum to the way we live our lives... again... today. Whereas, animals who have not evolved a concsious awareness of "the end" simply live moment to moment with no true recollection or ability in applying what has happened with other animals to they're own existence. So, your point is extremely valid in terms of todays human population and culture.

Just a question.

Isn't this conversation/arguement based on opinion?(Then again, aren't they all?)

If you want to answer, please do. If not, I was never here.

madphysics said:
Just a question.

Isn't this conversation/arguement based on opinion?(Then again, aren't they all?)

If you want to answer, please do. If not, I was never here.

Yes. No one has died, stayed dead, and lived to tell about it.

"Life's been good to me...

...so far"

J. Walsh

()

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe death is nonliving. No awareness, no consciousness, nothing. Just no experience at all, kinda like being knocked out or sleeping with no dreams. Dont get worried or mad or sad because of the inevitability, when death comes it will come, until then, live life. Experience everything you can. Learn as much as you can.
That video is awesome, I love weed.

I am very surprised to see all the Oblivion votes in this kind of forum, A vote for Oblivion is a vote for I'm to scared to dream and wonder.

All vote are just a reflection of the voters mind or programming, not the universe.

Fish live in water and that's all the see and know, we live in air and for thousands of years that's all people knew, now we see the out space further than we have ever done, we are still just looking at the sky with a turbocharged primate brain.

We are not even out there and we think we know what we are talking about.

Give us a few billion years of evolution and we may have a clue but I doubt it.

ShadowWorks said:
I am very surprised to see all the Oblivion votes in this kind of forum, A vote for Oblivion is a vote for I'm to scared to dream and wonder.

All vote are just a reflection of the voters mind or programming, not the universe.

Fish live in water and that's all the see and know, we live in air and for thousands of years that's all people knew, now we see the out space further than we have ever done, we are still just looking at the sky with a turbocharged primate brain.

We are not even out there and we think we know what we are talking about.

Give us a few billion years of evolution and we may have a clue but I doubt it.

so...

does that mean you're going to wait until then to 'vote'?

I voted A Transition to Another Simulation

Its the closest one to what I can imagine.

Does anyone think that what you believe has something to do with what will happen?

easyrider said:
Does anyone think that what you believe has something to do with what will happen?

I assume that you mean after death?

Yeah, like what you believe will happen after death, does that have any effect on what actually will happen. Just another question to put out there. We won't actually know anything til we die, so all we can do is philosophize.

easyrider said:
Yeah, like what you believe will happen after death, does that have any effect on what actually will happen. Just another question to put out there. We won't actually know anything til we die, so all we can do is philosophize.

Thats not philosophizing that's fantasizing.

JoeDawg said:
Thats not philosophizing that's fantasizing.

yeah, but, so is 'riding a beam of light'

"Death is..." never having to say you're sorry.

"Death is..." not smelling yourself rot.

"Death is..." flowers in a sunny spot... on a gravesite.

"Death is... traveling at the speed of nothing.

You look like fantasy. All philosophy is is using logic to try to explain reality and nature. We know nothing about death. All we can do is guess to the best of our ability.