Dc to ac inverter circuit diagram and or pcb needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a circuit diagram or printed circuit board for a 12VDC to 220VAC inverter. The circuit should be simple, easy to make, and tested. However, there are concerns about the dangerous voltage levels involved and the difficulty of finding a suitable transformer. Some suggestions are made to try specialty shops or look for similar devices in different countries. The conversation also includes warnings about the dangers of working with high voltages, especially for those who are not experienced in electrical safety.
saad ahmed khan
hello everyone
i need a circuit diagram or printed circuit board for a dc to ac inverter
that will convert 12vdc to 220v ac @ 50 Hz. the circuit should be preferably simple and easy to make. not to forget cheap
i don't want to buy one. i need the car cigarette lighter types that are small. i don't buy online because i don't trust credit cards and i can't find it on the market in my country.
oh and the circuit should also be tested
any help will be appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, first off this is dangerous because of the voltage levels involved, well past lethal ranges here.

Second, you're going to need a transformer and finding that is going to be much much more difficult than the inverters because its a specialty product designed to be sold to other manufacturers in large quanities or EEs for testing. Its not an item sold to the general public.

Third, if you understood what it would take to properly isolate the case you could also likely build a chopper circuit that could create the output as at least a triangular wave. With inverters, you can spend more money and get a true sinewave output so there's much less chance of interference problems on a TV or radio.

I'd say too try some specialty shops, maybe a place that assists people who would need AC power from a battery. Stateside, there are cottage industries to serve the needs of people for RV/camping that have a selection of these devices, similar ones likely exist in europe with similar voltages, maybe you would find one there.

Cliff_J said:
Ok, first off this is dangerous because of the voltage levels involved, well past lethal ranges here.

Second, you're going to need a transformer and finding that is going to be much much more difficult than the inverters because its a specialty product designed to be sold to other manufacturers in large quanities or EEs for testing. Its not an item sold to the general public.

Third, if you understood what it would take to properly isolate the case you could also likely build a chopper circuit that could create the output as at least a triangular wave. With inverters, you can spend more money and get a true sinewave output so there's much less chance of interference problems on a TV or radio.

I'd say too try some specialty shops, maybe a place that assists people who would need AC power from a battery. Stateside, there are cottage industries to serve the needs of people for RV/camping that have a selection of these devices, similar ones likely exist in europe with similar voltages, maybe you would find one there.

well i do know of the high voltage involved
at least if i could get a circuit that can take 12V dc and put out 12V ac without changing the current i could still make the inverter work. i don't intend to run anything above 100W. also i live in pakistan not europe.
any help?please reply

i need an inverter circuit diagram for 12Vd.c to 220Va.c

inverter circuit diagram please

biodun said:
inverter circuit diagram please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical)

And as Cliff already pointed out, be careful. If you haven't worked with AC mains voltages like 110Vrms and 220Vrms before, this is too big a project for you at this point.

Inverter Diagram

If you are stil interested in the inverter diagrams let me know, I can't beleave the answers you got, its not such a big deal

chrismicro said:
If you are stil interested in the inverter diagrams let me know, I can't beleave the answers you got, its not such a big deal

You can't believe that we were cautioning this person about the dangerous nature of the circuit, or there was some other problem with our replies?

Everybody by there right mind, know the dangers of mains power, but a inverter powered from a cars cigarette lighter socket? how dangerous can that be, the 5 amp that you can draw from the socket will give you a final power of? 5X12 = 60 watt 60/220= 27mA, it can't even kill a fly! then there is transformer loss of almost 15%, so the worst that can happen, he can get a nasty little tickle, I have overcome in my live not one, but hundreds of electrical shocks from 380 volt mains(3 fase) with no after effects and I'm still alive at 60 without any scars, the internet is flooded with diagrams of power inverters, all without any warnings, but non of you could give him a positive answer.

chrismicro said:
Everybody by there right mind, know the dangers of mains power

Not true. Newbies in electronics and EE often do not understand the issues involved in electrical safety with high voltages. That's one reason that Underwriters Labs exists -- to provide standards and to check our design work.

chrismicro said:
but a inverter powered from a cars cigarette lighter socket? how dangerous can that be, the 5 amp that you can draw from the socket will give you a final power of? 5X12 = 60 watt 60/220= 27mA, it can't even kill a fly!

See what I mean? This is a fine example of not understanding shock hazards. It doesn't take watts of power to cause cardiac fibrulations. Please do not post rubbish like this -- you could get somebody hurt.

chrismicro said:
so the worst that can happen, he can get a nasty little tickle, I have overcome in my live not one, but hundreds of electrical shocks from 380 volt mains(3 fase) with no after effects and I'm still alive at 60 without any scars, the internet is flooded with diagrams of power inverters, all without any warnings, but non of you could give him a positive answer.

I'm glad for you that you have survived the shocks, but I have to say that the fact that you've managed to get shocked so many times makes me worry.

I have mentored many, many new EEs and students, and it is quite common for them to underestimate the dangers of electrical shock (not to mention fire, etc.) when working with voltages above SELV. It is irresponsible for you to be advocating a position where you are minimizing the dangers and the precautions that should be taken. In most companies that I'm familiar with, an attitude like that would get you shown the door.

If the original poster (OP) had said something like, "I'm familair with AC mains safety issues, and have built DC output power supplies in the past that comply with typical UL safety regulations, and now I'd like to try building a 12V-->120Vrms inverter...", then we would have responded differently. But when an apparent newbie to electronics asks what the OP asked, red flags go up, and we have to be sure that they understand the safety issues involved before we help them with the circuit concepts.

can you help me to solve my problem?^^

A 24VDC to 110VAC inverter circuit and diagram!
may problem is how to construct a circuit that the source is a DC which is 24V convert it into a sine wave or in a 110V AC. It sound easy to do but I'm only a student and seeking an advice to the people that has a kind heart.^^ please help me! it's one of may project and i don't want to failed on this subject (electronics) becoz it's may favorite subject. Those who interested to help me, just email your solutions in may email address: its louie_ian@yahoo.com and ian_devilgohan@yahoo.com. I will acknowledge your help in may project report. thanks.

randell said:
can you help me to solve my problem?^^

A 24VDC to 110VAC inverter circuit and diagram!
may problem is how to construct a circuit that the source is a DC which is 24V convert it into a sine wave or in a 110V AC. It sound easy to do but I'm only a student and seeking an advice to the people that has a kind heart.^^ please help me! it's one of may project and i don't want to failed on this subject (electronics) becoz it's may favorite subject. Those who interested to help me, just email your solutions in may email address: its louie_ian@yahoo.com and ian_devilgohan@yahoo.com. I will acknowledge your help in may project report. thanks.

1. Step down by using transformer
2. Use H-bridge to recify the 24vac waveform.
3. Use caps to filter out ripples.

I'm sure there are many circuits on the net. Use infoseek.com to search.

david90 said:
1. Step down by using transformer
2. Use H-bridge to recify the 24vac waveform.
3. Use caps to filter out ripples.

I'm sure there are many circuits on the net. Use infoseek.com to search.

No, I think the poster randell is asking about the opposite direction, from 24Vdc to 110Vac.

randell -- look at my post #5 for a pointer. Also, please read and understand the discussion about electrical safety in the rest of this thread.

also need same

berkeman said:
You can't believe that we were cautioning this person about the dangerous nature of the circuit, or there was some other problem with our replies?

also need circuit for 24-220v ac
and 48-400v 3phase /50Hz inverter
0<P<10kw

inverter

ally z said:
0<P<10kw

You will not get it on this forum my friend, search for it on other sites or Google it

will do thanks chhris

Not to discourage the OP (I used to work in inverter design myself), but I'd be amazed if you could manage to build a halfway-decent inverter for less than it would cost to purchase one. I understand that there are issues with the availability in his local markets, but I imagine that those same issues would arise with the specialized components needed to build an inverter. Maybe I'm wrong about that... But even still, I'd be surprised if you could get the components for less than the cost of a mass-manufactured inverter. Factoring in the time required to design, test, redesign, retest (ad nauseum), I can't really see how you could ever come out ahead financially by DIYing an inverter... if you were to fry a few high-power transistors (or a transformer) during testing/debugging, you'd be in the red right there.

Surely inverters are commercially available in India? Perhaps you could take a vacation and pick one up while you're there?

Inverter

ally z said:
0<P<10kw

Yes there is another problem! your human relationship

Last edited by a moderator:
ok its been a long time since i replied..
making inverters is expensive... i just wanted to do so coz i like making stuff.

any how i got my uncle to bring me an inverter from Canada so problem solved

What do I need to connect a solar panel to household power.

Is it possible to make an inverter or buy one to convert power from a solar panel into power that I could use in the house. My problem is that I like designing electronic circuits for my own projects, and a couple of them requires AC power coming from a DC power source. I have seen a few inverters, but they all have outlets on them and that gets in the way of my designs. I am kind of new to this so please talk slowly.

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

CV14 said:
Is it possible to make an inverter or buy one to convert power from a solar panel into power that I could use in the house.

They exist, but unless you have a large solar array (and not just a panel or two), it won't give you a whole lot of power. Usually, they're used in conjunction with batteries so you don't only have power when it's sunny outside.

CV14 said:
My problem is that I like designing electronic circuits for my own projects, and a couple of them requires AC power coming from a DC power source. I have seen a few inverters, but they all have outlets on them and that gets in the way of my designs. I am kind of new to this so please talk slowly.

I don't understand. AC from DC? What's wrong with just regular wall AC? As for the 'problem' with outlets, I'm assuming that you're having trouble making connections and getting electricity into your circuits? What I've done before is to cut an old electrical cord leaving a foot or few attached to the prongs, and then strip back a few inches of the outer jacket, exposing the (insulated) wires inside. You can then strip these down by an inch or two, and you'll have exposed wires, suitable for wirenutting or wiring into your circuit. That or you can just buy some two conductor (plus ground) 14GA cable and a power plug from your local hardware store.

I don't understand. AC from DC? What's wrong with just regular wall AC?

Thank you for your reply. My main problem is that I am trying to design my own "green" power supplies, and I either only know how to make them generate DC voltage or only have the supplies to generate DC voltage. I am trying to work around that problem though, but it is adding a lot more to my designs than I would like.

5X12 = 60 watt 60/220= 27mA, it can't even kill a fly

I'm sorry for putting my two cents in, but you do realize that it is the voltage capability that kills, otherwise signs wouldn't say, "danger high voltage." Amperage is only determined by the resistance in the load and the voltage potential. Please anyone of you experienced engineers jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. Sure you may have said later on how high of voltage you have had zap you in your life, and there are human lightning rods who lived to tell the stories. More than likely your body built up tolerance over time. Again correct me if I'm wrong. I have never been seriously zapped, none the less I have been zapped, to me and anyone else in the world it is a big deal if it doesn't feel good.

CV14 said:
Thank you for your reply. My main problem is that I am trying to design my own "green" power supplies, and I either only know how to make them generate DC voltage or only have the supplies to generate DC voltage. I am trying to work around that problem though, but it is adding a lot more to my designs than I would like.

What sorts of designs are you using? Straight diode bridge + capacitor filtering? Switch mode? And throwing in multiple conversions will probably only serve to reduce your overall efficiency (as opposed to a single AC-AC transformation + clean-up circuitry). I have to ask: how much experience do you have in power supply design?

CV14 said:
I'm sorry for putting my two cents in, but you do realize that it is the voltage capability that kills, otherwise signs wouldn't say, "danger high voltage." Amperage is only determined by the resistance in the load and the voltage potential. Please anyone of you experienced engineers jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. Sure you may have said later on how high of voltage you have had zap you in your life, and there are human lightning rods who lived to tell the stories. More than likely your body built up tolerance over time. Again correct me if I'm wrong. I have never been seriously zapped, none the less I have been zapped, to me and anyone else in the world it is a big deal if it doesn't feel good.

You may have kicked a hornet's nest with this one, as this is the age-old EE debate. Lots of volts can kill you, but only if there's enough current such that Ohm's law works. However, it is the action of bazillions (not a real unit) of electrons passing through your body which cause the damage. Small numbers of electrons, even with very high individual energies, do nothing (much). When you shuffle your feet across the carpet, and then get a shock from the light switch or sink, you've just brought yourself to ground potential from several 10s of thousands of volts (I think it's 10000 V / inch of electric discharge, though I might have confused inch with centimeter).

When you see the signs that say "Danger: High Voltage" that's because the equipment / wiring that's beyond the signs can supply enough current to cook you to a crisp.

I'm not really an experienced EE nor have I gone through actual classes yet. Most of what I already know I learned from my dad who works with electronics or from his old college textbooks. I'm not really sure exactly what I would use capacitors for so whatever I would be using it is probably one of the other two. I also haven't started designing a circuit that uses an inverter. Just to provide you relief about what I am saying, I am not designing these circuits for use in areas where what little I know might not be enough. I am only designing them for experiments.

Thank you, I think I may can work with that. One problem I have had though is searching for particular parts. Other than Newark and Radioshack, are there other places to buy electronic parts from.

Hello good friends,
i need an inverter circuit diagram that can convert dc to ac of about 220v @ 50Hz. I need a real, tested and trusted one.

CV14 said:

OK
Let us look at what in Electricity kills.
Cardiac arrest is caused due to current passing through the heart and causing it to go into some spasms etc. On varsity the teach the students it is the current, not the voltage. As you mention above the two are linked. It is also linked to power. If you can only supply 5mW at 5kV, your system will shut down befor you can kill someone. that is by the way 1uA. The system will probably actually not be able to exist, this is just theoretical. What I'm saying is that High Voltage signing is there due to the fact that people understand that it is dangerous. You can kill someone with lower voltage, as long as you select the organ you're electrocuting and apply it dirrectly to it.

But I have to aggree. I don't see warnings on every plug socket and DB box in SA saying beware 240VAC.

You can kill someone with lower voltage, as long as you select the organ you're electrocuting and apply it dirrectly to it.
After reading this, I started thinking, where ever a live circuit touches a person, or where ever two points might touch, would that determine the effects of being electrocuted? My dad who is an ET, (Electronic Technician) for those who believe in UFOs, told me before that the body supplies a certain amount of resistance. So if two points are spread far apart when they are touching the body, wouldn't that lower the voltage, or amperage?

CV14 said:
Thank you, I think I may can work with that. One problem I have had though is searching for particular parts. Other than Newark and Radioshack, are there other places to buy electronic parts from.

Check out the stickie post at the top of the EE forum for links. Digikey and Mouser are handy sources of parts via mail order.

Know how to build an inverter that is most easy to build:

http://www.brighthub.com/hubfolio/swagatam-majumdar/articles/65024.aspx

1. What is a DC to AC inverter circuit diagram?

A DC to AC inverter circuit diagram is a visual representation of the components and connections that make up an inverter. It shows how direct current (DC) power from a battery or other source is converted into alternating current (AC) power for use in electronic devices.

2. What is the purpose of a DC to AC inverter?

The purpose of a DC to AC inverter is to convert DC power into AC power. This is useful for powering electronic devices that require AC power, such as household appliances, when only DC power is available. It allows for the use of DC power sources, such as batteries or solar panels, to power a wider range of devices.

3. What components are typically included in a DC to AC inverter circuit diagram?

A DC to AC inverter circuit diagram typically includes a DC power source, an oscillator, a transformer, and various electronic components such as diodes, transistors, and capacitors. It may also include additional components for protection and regulation of the AC output.

4. How does a DC to AC inverter circuit work?

A DC to AC inverter circuit works by using an oscillator to convert the DC power into a high frequency AC signal. This signal is then sent through a transformer to increase the voltage and convert it into a usable AC output. The electronic components in the circuit help to regulate and control the output to ensure it is stable and safe for use in electronic devices.

5. Do I need a PCB for a DC to AC inverter circuit?

While it is possible to build a DC to AC inverter without a PCB (printed circuit board), it is highly recommended to use one. A PCB provides a more organized and secure way to connect the components in the circuit, reducing the risk of short circuits and other issues. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and maintenance of the circuit.