Understanding Theory: Solving Real Number Problems with Ease

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a new user on the site was afraid to ask for help but thanks to the site, they now understand theory concepts. They then asked for help with two questions, one involving proving an equation with real numbers and the other involving inequalities. The user was unsure of what [alpha] meant and someone suggested that it could mean the greatest integer. One user suggested a "brute force" method for solving the first question and another suggested a different method involving writing alpha in terms of an integer and a number between 0 and 1. The user also apologized for not being familiar with the site and appreciates all the help.
1+1=1
i know I've only been on for couple of months, but i was always afraid of asking for help. thanks to this site, i now understand all of this theory stuff!

?'s

prove that [alpha] + [alpha + 1/3] + [alpha + 2/3] = [3 alpha] for all reals alpha.

prove [alpha] + [beta] <= [alpha + beta] alpha/beta are real.

i honestly do not know what to do for these, could anyone provide a beacon of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
And what does [alpha] mean? Can't be the absolute value of alpha, since none of those statements are true then.

i suspect it means floor. the second on requires no proof being quite obvious, the first one, hmm, i can't think of anything other than a brute force way of doing it; someone must be able to spot a nice argument for it. In case 1+1=1 is wondering, the brute force method is to let alpha = n+r where r is a number in the interval [0,1) there are then three cases to consider, r in [0,1/3), [1/3,2/3) and [2/3,1) and so that [alpha]=n.

Last edited:
1. Consider x - [x] in [0,1/3) , [1/3, 2/3) and [2/3, 1) and prove separately for each case. Perhaps this is what matt means by 'brute force'...

2. The "no proof" for this could be done by writing alpha = N + n, where N is an integer and n is in [0,1).

EDIT : Didn't read matt's post completely - this is redundant.

Last edited:
sorry all as i said i am new and i still need to do A LOT of clarifying. the [] means the greatest integer. as far as the brute force, that is the least painful way of doing this? i appreciate all of this! yes i do understand the brute force method.

1. What does "New member = lotsa ?'s" mean?

"New member = lotsa ?'s" is a phrase often used in online communities to refer to new members who have a lot of questions. It is a lighthearted way of acknowledging that new members may have many questions as they get familiar with the community.

2. Why do new members have so many questions?

New members may have many questions because they are unfamiliar with the community and its rules, culture, and resources. They may also be excited to join a new community and eager to learn more.

3. How should the community respond to new members with lots of questions?

The community should welcome new members and be patient and understanding towards their questions. It is important to create a positive and inclusive environment for new members to feel comfortable asking questions and contributing to the community.

4. How can new members find answers to their questions?

New members can find answers to their questions by reading through the community's rules and guidelines, searching for similar questions that have already been answered, and asking for help from more experienced members. They can also reach out to moderators or community leaders for assistance.

5. Are there any resources available for new members to learn more about the community?

Yes, many online communities have resources such as FAQs, tutorials, and community guides for new members to learn more about the community. These resources can help new members understand the community's purpose, rules, and how to navigate and participate in the community effectively.