Electric Force & Gaussian Sphere: Need Help Understanding?

In summary, our professor introduced the concept of a Faraday Cage, where a conducting sphere with a static charge will have no electric field within it. This is because the charge is distributed evenly along the surface of the conductor. This can be understood by considering the equations for Gauss' Law and the force exerted by an electric field on a charge. To better understand this concept, it would be helpful to provide more information, such as a specific problem or example.
mikhailpavel
Our professor said that when a metallic body or a conductor is inserted inside a gaussian sphere, it will not experience anykind of electric force? But i don't understand why? Any help will be appreciable.

Physics news on Phys.org
mikhailpavel said:
Our professor said that when a metallic body or a conductor is inserted inside a gaussian sphere, it will not experience anykind of electric force? But i don't understand why? Any help will be appreciable.

I'm not sure if i fully understand your question but maybe this input can provide some clarity.(i just passed E/M last semester with an A so keep that in mind with what I'm going to be saying and people that post after me, please be kind to a newbie (me) as I am no where near all knowing in physics, just a step ahead of the OP)

I am guessing your professor is introducing the Faraday Cage phenomenon (if that is the right word for it) that there will be no electric field within a conducting sphere with a static charge because static charge in a conductor is distributed along the surface of the conductor.

Now again, take what i say with a grain of salt as I am just trying to help get you in the mode of this Gaussian stuff to help you sort out your confusions

Think about the equations and what exactly the individual components of the formulas from Gauss and the force exerted by an electric field on a charge:

The surface integral of (E <dot> dA) = Charge enclosed / epsilon naught
and F=Eq

Now think about a spherical conductor that is hollow inside (a shell) with a charge q distributed evenly. Walk through the steps of constructing a spherical Gaussian surface inside the space within the shell (q enclosed is 0) and around the entirety of the conducting sphere (q enclosed is q)

Again, I think the question you posted isn't exactly what your professor said so its hard to help you sort out your confusion (that and I'm still a novice at this stuff as well :) )

Post up some more info like a problem that has the issues that are confusing you and I (as well as others hopefully) can help you.

Sorry if this is a bit choppy, I'm in class :/ i'll come back this evening when I have my notes in front of me and I can try to help you better

-GL

Hello,

I can understand your confusion regarding the concept of electric force and Gaussian sphere. Let me try to explain it to you in a simple manner.

Firstly, it is important to understand that electric force is the force exerted by electric charges on each other. This force can either be attractive or repulsive, depending on the types of charges involved.

Now, let's talk about the Gaussian sphere. It is a hypothetical imaginary sphere that is used in the study of electric fields. It is often used as a boundary to calculate the electric field at a point outside the sphere.

When a metallic body or a conductor is inserted inside a Gaussian sphere, it is considered to be a part of the sphere itself. This means that the charges on the surface of the conductor will redistribute themselves in such a way that the electric field inside the conductor is zero.

Since there is no electric field inside the conductor, there will be no electric force acting on it. This is because the electric force is directly proportional to the electric field.

In simpler terms, the charges on the surface of the conductor will cancel out the electric field inside it, resulting in no net force on the conductor.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why a metallic body or a conductor inserted inside a Gaussian sphere will not experience any electric force. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged objects. It is responsible for the behavior of electrically charged particles and plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is a Gaussian sphere?

A Gaussian sphere is a hypothetical surface that encloses a charge distribution and is used to simplify the calculation of electric fields. It is a closed surface in which the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface at every point.

4. How is a Gaussian sphere used to calculate electric fields?

The electric field at any point outside a charge distribution can be calculated by imagining a Gaussian sphere centered at that point. The electric flux through the sphere is then calculated using Gauss's law, and the electric field is determined by dividing the flux by the surface area of the sphere.

5. Why is understanding electric force and Gaussian sphere important?

Electric force is a fundamental concept in physics and is crucial for understanding many natural phenomena, such as the behavior of atoms and molecules, the functioning of electronic devices, and the behavior of celestial bodies. Gaussian spheres are a useful tool for simplifying calculations and understanding the behavior of electric fields in complex systems.