Understanding Integration with a Constant in the Limits

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating the function \frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}} with h as a constant. The individual is confused about how the 2 from \frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}} can be pulled out with the \sqrt{h} when integrating. They also question why the constant is assigned to 2\sqrt{h} instead of only h. The summary concludes that integration is done with respect to x, so h is just another constant in the process.
vorcil
I need to figure out,

[tex] \int_0^h \frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}}dx [/tex]

If h is a constant,

how do i do this?

my book shows that I can pull out,

[tex] \frac{1}{2\sqrt{h}} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}dx [/tex]

How does the 2 from [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}} [/tex] come out with the [tex]\sqrt{h}[/tex]?

I thought I would've only been able to pull out 1/root h,

like this,

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{h}} \int \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]

-

why does 2 root h get assigned constant? instead of only h

Physics news on Phys.org
1/2 is a constant, 1/√h is a constant

it must follow that

1/2√h is constant as well.

vorcil said:
I need to figure out,

[tex] \int_0^h \frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}}dx [/tex]

If h is a constant,

how do i do this?

my book shows that I can pull out,

[tex] \frac{1}{2\sqrt{h}} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}dx [/tex]

How does the 2 from [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}} [/tex] come out with the [tex]\sqrt{h}[/tex]?

I thought I would've only been able to pull out 1/root h,

like this,

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{h}} \int \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]

-

why does 2 root h get assigned constant? instead of only h
The basic idea is that [itex]\int k*f(x) dx = k*\int f(x) dx[/itex].

The rest in your problem is just algebra.
[tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}} = \frac{1}{2*\sqrt{h}\sqrt{x}} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{h}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Integration is being done with respect to x (i.e., with x as the variable), so h is just another constant in this process.

cheers

What is quick integration question?

Quick integration question is a term used in mathematics and computer science to refer to a type of problem that involves finding the integral of a function. It is often used in calculus and involves finding the area under a curve.

How do I solve a quick integration question?

To solve a quick integration question, you can use several techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to carefully analyze the function and choose the most appropriate method.

Why are quick integration questions important?

Quick integration questions are important because they are used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also help us understand the behavior of functions and their relationship to their derivatives.

What are some common mistakes when solving quick integration questions?

Some common mistakes when solving quick integration questions include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making a calculation error, and choosing the wrong integration method. It is important to double check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.

Can I use technology to solve quick integration questions?

Yes, there are many online tools and computer software programs that can help with solving quick integration questions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and methods behind the solutions rather than relying solely on technology.