Calculating WWI aircraft flight performance

In summary, calculating the flight performance of World War One aircraft involves obtaining data on the aerofoils, engine horsepower, maximum level speeds, and wingloading. The minimum horse power required for level flight can be calculated by determining the overall aircraft drag figure, which can be done through running CFD or obtaining experimental data from old NACA reports. Scott Eberhardt's work on this subject, presented in AIAA Paper 2005-119, provides some insight but further research is needed to make practical use of it.
RayJobling
I'm interested in calculating the flight performance of World War One aircraft.

The aerofoils can give me the coefficient of lift, we have the engine horsepower and the maximum level speeds. Wingloading can generate the stall speeds.

How do I calculate the minimum horse power required for level flight? It seems as though I need an overall aircraft drag figure, so how do I calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
RayJobling said:
I'm interested in calculating the flight performance of World War One aircraft.

The aerofoils can give me the coefficient of lift, we have the engine horsepower and the maximum level speeds. Wingloading can generate the stall speeds.

How do I calculate the minimum horse power required for level flight? It seems as though I need an overall aircraft drag figure, so how do I calculate this?

You're going to need to run CFD or obtain experimental data on the drag polar for that I'm afraid.

Thanks Cyrus,
now what's CFD please?

Ray

It stands for computational fluid dynamics. You create a model of your problem in a CAD program, and then wrap a mesh around it. The CFD solver then finds the forces and moments. This is by no means a trivial, or cheap, proposition. I think your best bet is to look for this data in old NACA reports.

Thanks again Cyrus.

I think the pointer towards old NACA reports looks like the better option. To be honest, I hadn't realized that such reports were available, so now the search begins...

Scott Eberhardt did some work on this subject which intrigued me, and released a PDF titled

AIAA Paper 2005-119
43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit
10-13 January, 2005, Reno, Nevada

This was fascinating, but lacked the background details to do something useful with it.

1. What is the purpose of calculating flight performance for WWI aircraft?

Calculating flight performance for WWI aircraft allows engineers and pilots to determine the capabilities and limitations of the aircraft, such as maximum speed, rate of climb, and range. This information is crucial for designing and operating the aircraft effectively and safely.

2. What factors are considered when calculating flight performance for WWI aircraft?

Some of the factors that are taken into account when calculating flight performance for WWI aircraft include engine power and thrust, weight and balance, aerodynamics, air density and temperature, and wind conditions. These factors can greatly affect the aircraft's performance and must be carefully considered.

3. How is the maximum speed of a WWI aircraft determined?

The maximum speed of a WWI aircraft is typically determined by its engine power and thrust, as well as its aerodynamic design. The more powerful the engine and the more aerodynamic the design, the faster the aircraft can potentially fly. However, other factors such as air density and temperature can also impact the maximum speed.

4. Can flight performance calculations be used to predict fuel consumption for WWI aircraft?

Yes, flight performance calculations can be used to estimate the fuel consumption of WWI aircraft. By considering the aircraft's weight, engine power, and aerodynamic characteristics, engineers can determine the fuel burn rate at different speeds and altitudes. This information is important for planning flights and ensuring that the aircraft has enough fuel for the intended mission.

5. How do changes in altitude affect flight performance for WWI aircraft?

Changes in altitude can greatly impact the flight performance of WWI aircraft. As altitude increases, air density decreases, resulting in less lift and thrust for the aircraft. This can lead to a decrease in speed and rate of climb. Additionally, higher altitudes can also affect the engine's performance due to changes in air density and temperature, which can further impact the aircraft's flight performance.