Entropy change of an irreversible process

In summary: This results in a greater overall entropy change compared to a reversible process where the surroundings do not experience any change in entropy. Therefore, the total entropy change of the system and surroundings is greater in an irreversible process, as explained by your book.
flasherffff
i can't seem to get something in classical thermodynamics
entropy is a state function of a system,that means it only depends on the state of a system not time or path.
if i have an irreversible process between state 1 and state 2, and back to state 1, and i want to know the entropy change of the system after this cycle.
how can the entropy increase if I am back to the same state which means the same entropy with zero change

my book says the entropy change of an irreversible process is greater then that of a reversible process
but how?

Science news on Phys.org
Its the total entropy change (environment and system) that its accounting for. When the system goes back to its original state in an irreversible process, the environment records the process.

flasherffff said:
i can't seem to get something in classical thermodynamics
entropy is a state function of a system,that means it only depends on the state of a system not time or path.
if i have an irreversible process between state 1 and state 2, and back to state 1, and i want to know the entropy change of the system after this cycle.
how can the entropy increase if I am back to the same state which means the same entropy with zero change

my book says the entropy change of an irreversible process is greater then that of a reversible process
but how?
The system returns to its original state but the surroundings do not. There is no change in entropy of the system. But the entropy of the surroundings increases if the process between those two states was not reversible.

If the process was reversible, the entropy of the surroundings remains unchanged even though they end up in a different thermodynamic state.

AM

1. What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the energy dispersal or spreading out of a system.

2. How is entropy change related to irreversible processes?

In irreversible processes, the entropy of the system increases due to the dissipation of energy into the surroundings. This increase in entropy is known as the entropy change of an irreversible process.

3. Can entropy change of an irreversible process be negative?

No, entropy change of an irreversible process cannot be negative. This is because the second law of thermodynamics states that in any natural process, the total entropy of the universe must increase, and irreversible processes contribute to this increase.

4. How is the entropy change of an irreversible process calculated?

The entropy change of an irreversible process can be calculated using the Clausius inequality, which states that the change in entropy of a system is greater than or equal to the heat transferred divided by the temperature of the system. This is represented by the formula ΔS ≥ Q/T.

5. What is the significance of entropy change of an irreversible process?

The entropy change of an irreversible process has important implications in thermodynamics and can be used to determine the efficiency of energy conversion processes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the direction and spontaneity of chemical reactions.