Electric charge and spontaneous symmetry breaking

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of "charge issue" in a Lagrangian of a complex scalar field with U(1) local invariance. The question arises about how to express the electric charge when writing the Lagrangian after spontaneous symmetry breaking, where Goldstone and Higgs modes are absorbed. The conversation also touches on the idea that the current operator is obtained from the functional derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the magnetic vector potential, and how the new Lagrangian is dependent on the Higgs field.
Neitrino
Hi,

If I have a Lagrangian of complex scalar field (just U(1) local invariance).
And I know that phi^star describes field with -e electric charge and phi describes field with e electric charge. How do I apply "charge issue" when I write Lagrnangian after spontaneous symmetry breaking in terms of Goldstone (which are afterwards adsorbed) and Higgs modes ?
They are charged not charged ? why how ? they become real fields and to have suppose electric charge fields shoud be complex...

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Silly question... ? :(

Neitrino said:
Silly question... ? :(

No, not at all, but you could be more specific.
I would proceed as follows:
The current operator is obtained as the functional derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the magnetic vector potential A. And the new Lagrangian is quadratic in the vector potential which has eaten the Goldstone boson. I.e. if I rewrite the original field as
[tex] \phi=\phi_0 +\rho \exp(i\sigma)[/tex] then the new lagrangian depends only on rho and [tex] \tilde{A}=A-\frac{1}{e} \rho \nabla \sigma [/tex], or [tex] L=e^2|\tilde{A}|^2+ \ldots[/tex] hence the current should be something like [tex] e\tilde{A}[/tex]. Thus the current is carried entirely by the Higgs field.

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy an object possesses. It can be either positive or negative, and like charges repel while opposite charges attract.

2. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where the symmetry of a system is broken even though the underlying laws of the system are symmetric. This can result in new physical properties and behavior emerging.

3. How does electric charge relate to spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Electric charge plays a crucial role in spontaneous symmetry breaking as it is one of the fundamental forces that can cause a symmetry-breaking event. For example, the Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass, relies on spontaneous symmetry breaking of the electroweak force.

4. What are some real-world applications of electric charge and spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Electric charge and spontaneous symmetry breaking have many practical applications, such as in electronics and technology. For example, the transistor, a fundamental component of modern electronics, relies on the control of electric charge. Spontaneous symmetry breaking is also relevant in understanding the behavior of materials, such as superconductors, which have potential uses in energy storage and transportation.

5. How do scientists study electric charge and spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Scientists study electric charge and spontaneous symmetry breaking through a combination of theoretical models, mathematical calculations, and experiments. This can include particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, as well as other specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, computer simulations and theoretical frameworks, such as quantum field theory, are used to understand and make predictions about these phenomena.