Can Motor Coil Cross-Section Equations Determine Torque and RPM?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of Ansys Workbench version 11 for an undergraduate research project involving an electric engine. The main focus is on determining the coil-cross section equations, which can be used to calculate the loss during the system. The equations for resistance and length are mentioned, as well as the need to determine the width and length of the coil's cross section. The conversation also touches on the difference between an engine and a motor, and the importance of motor laminations in determining the size of the coil. The conversation ends with a discussion on estimating torque based on motor efficiency and RPM.
strats
Are there any coil-cross sections equations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a coil-cross section equation?

What are you trying to determine? Wire size, coil design, temperature rise, optimum wire size or?

Carl Pugh said:
What is a coil-cross section equation?

What are you trying to determine? Wire size, coil design, temperature rise, optimum wire size or?

Well I am using Ansys Workbench version 11 for an Undergraduate research. I pretty got almost everything down on the Electric Magnetic Test. Since Ansys is more for mechanical analysis than for Electric studies, there is very few information on the electric magnetic analysis. I am working with a prototype engine; and I know how much power output, the engine, generates. I have to use Ansys Workbench version 11 to be able to simulate the same amount of torque that the real engine generates. After I am able to simulate the approximately amount of torque which the real engine gives, use Ansys to find a way to calculate the loss during the system.

I know with the Coils I can reduce or increase the torque, depending on the amount of the cross section area it has. I am assuming, that this could be related to the fact that the magnetic force increase with how tightly the coil is around the core.
Now, I know the Power and the current I have. I could calculate the actual length or distance of the coil. The equations would be:

Power = I(current)^2*R(resistance)
Length(distance)= 2*PI*radius*Turns

I know there is this equation for a conductor body:
Resistance=((Resistivity)*Distance)/Area

The area would be the cross-section of the coil.
If I use this equations, I could find the area. But after that, how could I determine the width and length of this cross section?
I know the diameter of the coil in use.
Another thing, is there is more than one coil. Should I divide any of the equations by the amount of coils in the system?
And lastly, apparently Ansys Workbench v 11 uses sourc 36 for emag solution. I am bit lost at this, anyone has experience on this? I am been using this programs for few months now, but there still a lot that I need to learn; and I really like learning about this :).

Thank you for any advice or assistance.

There seems to be a communication problem.
What do you mean by engine?
Engine usually means gas engine, steam engine, diesel engine...
Coil is a winding using insulated wire. Coils are used for solenoids, motors, relays, magnets, transformers, inductors...

What exactly are you designing?

Carl Pugh said:
There seems to be a communication problem.
What do you mean by engine?
Engine usually means gas engine, steam engine, diesel engine...
Coil is a winding using insulated wire. Coils are used for solenoids, motors, relays, magnets, transformers, inductors...

What exactly are you designing?

There is also the electric engine :). That's what I am working at.

Googled electric engine, result was not clear for what an electric engine is.

There is a great video on what they call electric engine. Is this what you are building?

Or are you building an electric motor?

Carl Pugh said:
Googled electric engine, result was not clear for what an electric engine is.

There is a great video on what they call electric engine. Is this what you are building?

Or are you building an electric motor?

I know what you mean. Some people call engine that what generate power thru steam, gas and other stuff.
And motor that which generates motion or torque from electricity.
I am not building a motor I am simulating a motor which exist as an prototype.
And I am trying to simulate the same amount of torque with ansys workbench 11.
Using the winding tool, I can simulate represent coils. But I need to figure out how to determine the cross section of an Coil.

When designing a motor as much copper (conductor) is placed in the coil as there is room for in the laminations.
The motor laminations determine how much copper you can get in a coil.
If you require more copper than can be placed in the laminations, then a larger lamination if required. A larger lamination means that it is a different motor and new calculations have to be performed.

So I guess the answer to your question is, Make the coil as large as there is room for in your laminations.

Torque is also determined by motor RPM. What is the motor's RPM?
Torque can be estimated by assuming an efficiency and RPM for motor. An efficiency of 90% for a medium sized motor is probably not unreasonable.

1. What is the coil cross-section equation?

The coil cross-section equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the area of a cross-section of a coil. It takes into account the dimensions of the coil, such as its diameter and number of turns, to determine the area of the cross-section.

2. How is the coil cross-section equation derived?

The coil cross-section equation is derived from the formula for calculating the area of a circle (πr²) and the formula for calculating the circumference of a circle (2πr). By substituting the circumference formula into the area formula, we can get the coil cross-section equation (A = n²π²r²).

3. What are the units of measurement for the coil cross-section equation?

The units of measurement for the coil cross-section equation will depend on the units used for the dimensions of the coil. For example, if the diameter is measured in meters, the area will be in square meters.

4. How is the coil cross-section equation used in practical applications?

The coil cross-section equation is used in various practical applications, such as designing and manufacturing electrical coils for motors, generators, and transformers. It can also be used in the field of electromagnetics to calculate the inductance of a coil.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the coil cross-section equation?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions associated with the coil cross-section equation. It assumes that the coil has a perfect circular cross-section, and it does not take into account any variations or irregularities in the coil's shape. Additionally, it does not account for any external factors that may affect the coil's dimensions, such as temperature or pressure.