How Do You Calculate Molar Mass from Concentration Data?

In summary, to calculate concentration, divide the amount of solute by the total volume of the solution and express it as a percentage, molarity, or molality. Molarity is based on volume while molality is based on mass, and to convert between the two, you need to know the density of the solution and the molecular weight of the solute. Knowing the concentration of a solution is important for determining the amount of reactants needed for a reaction, strength and effectiveness of a solution, and quality control. To prepare a solution with a specific concentration, use the formula C1V1 = C2V2 and know the desired concentration, amount of solute, and volume of the solution.
3riefs
Hello! I'm completing a lab for chemistry and would like some help on the last bit figuring out concentration then converting to molar mass. I need to make a data chart with a line of best fit on it with the dependent/independent variables. I understand that concentration is on the X-axis and the absorption is on the Y-axis. I used a spectrophotometer to track the different absorbency values of the different dilutions we made. I calibrated the machine using a "Blank" which was water in a test tube. I made a test solution, then made different dilutions using a stock solution provided to my class.

The observation chart that was produced looked like:

{Solutions}{Absorbency}{Wavelength (Blue)}

Blank (H2O) 0.00 470nm
Test Sol'n 5g solute/25mL H2O 1.41 470nm
Stock Sol'n 0.83 470nm
0.40 mol/L sol'n 12mL S.S./3mL H2O 0.70 470nm
0.30 mol/L sol'n 9mL S.S./6mL H2O 0.58 470nm
0.20 mol/L sol'n 6mL S.S./9mL H2O 0.40 470nm
0.10 mol/L sol'n 3mL S.S./12mL H2O 0.21 470nm

**Sol'n = solution**
**S.S. = stock solution**
**[ ] = concentration**

1. How do you find concentration?
2. How do you convert concentration to molar mass?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3riefs said:
1. How do you find concentration?

Read it from the line of the best fit. Or, if you use linear regression, calculate concentration from absorbance. That's the same.

2. How do you convert concentration to molar mass?

Knowing concentration you will be able to calculate number of moles, knowing number of moles and mass of the sample you will be able to get molar mass.

1. How do I calculate concentration?

Concentration can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) by the total volume of the solution. This can be expressed as a percentage, molarity (moles of solute per liter of solution), or molality (moles of solute per kilogram of solvent).

2. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity is a measure of concentration based on volume, while molality is based on mass. Molarity takes into account the total volume of the solution, while molality only considers the mass of the solvent. This means that molarity is affected by changes in temperature and pressure, while molality is not.

3. How do I convert between molarity and molality?

To convert from molarity to molality, you need to know the density of the solution and the molecular weight of the solute. You can then use the formula molality = molarity / (density x molecular weight) to calculate the conversion. To convert from molality to molarity, use the formula molarity = molality x (density x molecular weight).

4. Why is it important to know the concentration of a solution?

Knowing the concentration of a solution is important for many reasons. It can help determine the amount of reactants needed for a chemical reaction, the strength of a solution, and the effectiveness of a solution in a particular application. It is also important for quality control in industries such as pharmaceuticals and food production.

5. How do I prepare a solution with a specific concentration?

To prepare a solution with a specific concentration, you need to know the desired concentration, the amount of solute needed, and the volume of the solution you want to make. You can then use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. This will help you determine the amount of solute and solvent needed to make the desired solution.