Find solution of initial value problem - 1st order non-linear ODE

In summary, the student is trying to solve a first order nonlinear ODE but is having trouble. He tries a solution but gets stuck. The instructor suggests he try integrating both sides.
mihyaeru
Hey,
we have to solve the following problem for our ODE class.

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the initial value problem
dx/dt = (x^2 + t*x - t^2)/t^2

with t≠0 , x(t_0) = x_0

Describe the (maximal) domain of definition of the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that this is a 1st order nonlinear ODE. Unfortunately I got no clue how to deal them.
I tried this:
dx/dt = (x^2 + t*x - t^2)/t^2
= x^2/t^2 + x/t -1

Now substitute: u = x/t -> x=ut , x'=u't+u
Therefore we get:
u't+u = u^2+u-1
t* du/dt +u = u^2+u-1 //-u
t* du/dt = u^2 -1

0= t*u' -u^2 +1
which is my dead end.

Is the idea ok? What could I do?

Kind regards,
mihyaeru

PS: How can i insert a fraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed that we might be able to solve this via applying the Riccati equation?

mihyaeru said:
t* du/dt = u^2 -1

This is a separable differential equation, you must be able to solve it
:smile: !

ehild

As far as I know it is a separation of variables case, iff there would be no t in front of the du/dt. Or no -1.
You think of the solution
du / (u^2 -1) = dt / t ,
don't you?

But anyway thanks for your answer =)

mihyaeru said:
As far as I know it is a separation of variables case, iff there would be no t in front of the du/dt.
That doesn't matter. Just keep the t with the dt.
du / (u^2 -1) = dt / t ,
don't you?

That's exactly what he is thinking of. Use partial fractions on the left side and integrate both sides.

mihyaeru said:
As far as I know it is a separation of variables case, iff there would be no t in front of the du/dt. Or no -1.
du / (u^2 -1) = dt / t ,
don't you?

But anyway thanks for your answer =)

I do. And you should be able to integrate both sides.

ehild

1. What is an initial value problem for a first-order non-linear ODE?

An initial value problem for a first-order non-linear ODE is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and also satisfies a specific initial condition at a given point. This means that the function must pass through a given point and have a specific value at that point.

2. How do you solve a first-order non-linear ODE?

To solve a first-order non-linear ODE, we can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. These methods involve manipulating the differential equation to isolate the dependent and independent variables and then finding a solution using integration or other techniques.

3. What is the importance of finding a solution to an initial value problem?

The solution to an initial value problem for a first-order non-linear ODE allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system over time. It can also help us make informed decisions in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where differential equations are used to model real-world situations.

4. Can a first-order non-linear ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first-order non-linear ODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the solutions can be defined by arbitrary constants that can take on different values. However, for a specific initial value problem, there will be a unique solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial condition.

5. Are there any applications of first-order non-linear ODEs in real life?

Yes, first-order non-linear ODEs have numerous applications in various fields such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. Examples of real-life situations that can be modeled by first-order non-linear ODEs include the growth of a population, the decay of radioactive materials, and the charging and discharging of a capacitor in an electronic circuit.