Is fortran 90 or matlab better for simulating non-linear dynamics (Chaos)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of MATLAB and Fortran 90 for simulating damped driven oscillators. The speaker is seeking advice on the pros and cons of each and potentially other options, such as Python or Java. They also inquire about recommended resources for non-linear dynamics.
great_sushi
I am going to be simulating damped driven oscillators for my project and I was wondering if someone could give me a definitive answer on the matter. I know MATLAB is more of a 'tool' than a language so I'm thinking the maths behind damped driven oscillators might be easier to implement into fortran 90.
If someone could give me a few pros and cons for the two and maybe more specifically to the simulations involved with damped driven oscillators that would be great.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Good Afternoon Great_Sushi,

Actually, both are applicable. It really boils down to what process you want.

Matlab has a powerful scripting language, is matrix oriented and has a ton of solvers and operators.

Fortran is a programming language, it probably has libraries to do operations on matrix, solvers and operators. Do these work with each other? Good question.

A third option would be Python with scipy and numpy: it's python with matlab-like extensions. If you add matplotlib, you have a complete solution for the processing AND graphing.

J.

OK thanks alot! I've decided to go for matlab... first day back of semester 2 and we're doing non-linear dynamics using matlab. I have a whole semester dedicated to my project, certainly panned out well hehe.

As for damped driven oscillators, can you recommend any good books on the subject of non-linear dynamics?

I can provide some insights on the use of Fortran 90 and MATLAB for simulating non-linear dynamics, specifically in the context of damped driven oscillators. Both Fortran 90 and MATLAB have their own strengths and limitations, so the choice ultimately depends on your specific project requirements and personal preferences.

Fortran 90 is a high-level, compiled language that is well-suited for scientific computing and numerical simulations. It has a long history in the scientific community and is known for its efficiency and speed. Fortran 90 also has built-in support for complex numbers and arrays, which are important for simulating non-linear dynamics. Additionally, it allows for low-level control over memory management, making it easier to implement complex mathematical algorithms. However, Fortran 90 may have a steeper learning curve compared to MATLAB, and its syntax may be more complex and less intuitive.

On the other hand, MATLAB is a high-level, interpreted language that is widely used in scientific and engineering applications. It has a user-friendly interface and a large library of built-in functions and toolboxes for various mathematical and scientific computations. MATLAB also has a powerful graphical user interface (GUI) that allows for easy visualization of data and results. However, it may not be as efficient as Fortran 90 in terms of speed and memory usage, and it may require additional toolboxes or programming skills for more complex simulations.

In terms of simulating damped driven oscillators, both Fortran 90 and MATLAB can handle the necessary mathematical calculations. However, Fortran 90 may be more suitable for large-scale simulations or simulations with complex mathematical models, while MATLAB may be more convenient for smaller scale simulations and quick prototyping. It is also worth noting that MATLAB has a built-in function for solving differential equations, which may be useful for simulating damped driven oscillators.

In conclusion, there is no definitive answer on whether Fortran 90 or MATLAB is better for simulating non-linear dynamics. Both languages have their own advantages and it ultimately depends on your specific project requirements and personal preferences. I suggest exploring both options and choosing the one that best fits your needs.

1. What is the difference between Fortran 90 and Matlab for simulating non-linear dynamics (Chaos)?

Fortran 90 is a programming language specifically designed for scientific and engineering applications, while Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment for numerical computation, visualization, and programming. Both can be used for simulating non-linear dynamics, but Fortran 90 may be more suitable for complex and computationally intensive simulations, while Matlab may be easier to use and have more built-in functions for data analysis and visualization.

2. Which language is better for beginners to use for simulating non-linear dynamics (Chaos)?

Matlab may be a better choice for beginners, as it has a user-friendly interface and syntax, and offers a wide range of built-in functions and tools for data analysis and visualization. Fortran 90 may have a steeper learning curve and require more programming knowledge.

3. Can both Fortran 90 and Matlab simulate chaotic systems accurately?

Yes, both languages are capable of accurately simulating chaotic systems. However, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the specific algorithm and implementation used, rather than the language itself.

4. Which language is more widely used for simulating non-linear dynamics (Chaos) in scientific research?

Fortran 90 is more commonly used in scientific research, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and computational mathematics. However, Matlab is also widely used in research, particularly in fields such as biology, neuroscience, and economics.

5. Are there any other programming languages that can be used for simulating non-linear dynamics (Chaos)?

Yes, there are other programming languages that can be used for simulating non-linear dynamics, such as C, Python, and R. The choice of language depends on the specific needs and preferences of the researcher, as well as the availability of libraries and tools for simulating chaotic systems.