The Magnet Problem: Exploring the Effects of Electricity on Magnets

• Thread starter PhyHunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, there is a complex interaction between electricity and magnetism, especially when a current is applied to a ferromagnetic material. The alignment of magnetic domains and the movement of conduction electrons play a role in the resulting magnetic field, but it is not clear what exactly happens when a magnet is part of a circuit. Further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.
PhyHunter
What happens If we give elecric to a magnet ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean what happens when one takes a permanent magnet (neodymium or ferrite) and attaches some voltage to it ?

Yes,exactly

well most likely there would be the magnetic field and the electric field from the potential added.
Normally the electric field lines are perpendicular to the magnetic ones.
The way the field lines would go out also depends on the geometry of the magnet.

although I'm not sure what happens wen you would switch that magnet into a circuit aka make the magnet as part of a conductor running a current through it , because magnetism is due to the electrons ligned up but when current runs might line up differently but I am not sure someone else has to comment on this one.

well considering the magnet is just a lump of conductive metal
you are likely to just short circuit the power supply

Dave

I think it is not so simple to say what happens, but here is my guess. For ferromagnets the net field is due to a large enough number of the magnetic domains in the material becoming aligned, but below the Curie temperature all the domains will be spontaneously magnetised, whether the net field is strong or not. The interactions which cause this spontaneous ordering are really quite strong, so I don't think a current flowing through the material would be enough to mess it up unless perhaps it was a super-strong current (though I don't know).

To clarify further; in many ferromagnetic materials I believe the conduction electrons are indeed the ones responsible for the magnetisation, since the outer shell electrons tend to be the ones that end up in the conduction band, and it is these electrons that cause the magnetisation (the inner shell ones are all paired up and cancel out each others magnetic dipoles). These electrons migrate through the material when a voltage is applied, but I expect that within a domain they interact to (on average) line up all their dipoles regardless of their net movement. So I predict that there will be no measurable change in the net magnetic field when such a current is applied :p. Maybe you will notice something if you use a very sensitive magnetometer though.

1. What is the Magnet Problem?

The Magnet Problem is a scientific inquiry into the relationship between electricity and magnets. It involves conducting experiments to explore how electricity affects the strength and polarity of magnets.

2. Why is it important to study the effects of electricity on magnets?

Understanding the relationship between electricity and magnets is crucial for many technological applications, such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It also helps us to understand the fundamental principles of electromagnetism, which is essential in fields like physics and engineering.

3. What kinds of experiments can be done to explore the Magnet Problem?

There are various experiments that can be conducted to investigate the effects of electricity on magnets. For example, you could build a simple electromagnet by wrapping a wire around a nail and connecting it to a battery. You can also test the strength of a magnet by placing it near different sources of electricity, such as power lines or household appliances.

4. How does electricity affect the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet can be increased by running an electric current through a wire wrapped around it. This creates a magnetic field, which adds to the existing magnetic field of the magnet and makes it stronger. However, if the electric current is too strong, it can demagnetize the magnet, causing it to lose its magnetic properties.

5. Can electricity change the polarity of a magnet?

Yes, electricity can change the polarity of a magnet. By running an electric current through a wire wrapped around a magnet in one direction, you can make the magnet's north pole face one direction. If you reverse the direction of the electric current, the magnet's polarity will also reverse, making the south pole face that direction instead.