Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

In summary, the conversation discusses materials that expand when in contact with water. Some examples mentioned are dehydrated substances like dried peas and powdered substances that turn into a soggy jelly when hydrated. Other suggestions include SAP or super absorbent polymer, but there may be safety concerns with using it. Other options mentioned are dehydrated foodstuffs, starch, polysaccharide powders such as Sephadex, gypsum, and polyacrylamide and bentonite clays.
kevin_tee
Are there any material that contact with water and expand? I can think of sodium polyacrylate, but I can't use it. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I don't know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.

Dadface said:
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I don't know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.

I think the soggy jelly that you mention is SAP(Super absorbent polymer) which is sodium polyacrylate that I mention, but I can't use it. Basically I need a material that significantly increase in volume when hydrate or being stimulate. Thanks.

I'm guessing there are safety issues with SAP. How about dehydrated foodstuffs? If powdered these can probably rehydrate in a short time.

Starch.

There are these polysaccharide powders used for gel permeation chromatography (separation on a molar mass basis) sold under the name Sephadex, they swell 10 or more times in volume on adding water.

Thanks for every answers.

Gypsum

Polyacrylamide and bentonite clays (sodium bentonite in particular). They are pretty swell :)

1. What are the common materials that expand when in contact with water?

Some common materials that expand when in contact with water are hydrogels, absorbent polymers, and certain types of wood such as pine and oak.

2. How does water cause these materials to expand?

When water molecules come into contact with the structure of these materials, they are absorbed and cause the material to swell. This is due to the chemical structure of the material and its ability to hold water molecules within its structure.

3. Are there any safety precautions to consider when handling materials that expand in water?

Yes, some materials that expand in water can release harmful chemicals or become slippery when wet. It is important to read the safety instructions and handle these materials with caution.

4. Can these materials be used for any practical purposes?

Yes, materials that expand in water have a variety of practical uses. They are commonly used in medical applications such as wound dressings and drug delivery systems. They can also be used in agriculture, construction, and even in toys and games.

5. Are there any materials that expand in water but can also shrink?

Yes, there are materials that exhibit both expansion and shrinkage in response to water. These materials are known as smart materials and can be used in various applications such as self-regulating irrigation systems and self-healing coatings.