Hamiltonian formulation of QCD and nucleon mass

In summary, the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD (Quantum Chromodynamics) is a mathematical framework used to describe the strong interactions between quarks and gluons, which make up nucleons (protons and neutrons). This formulation allows for a more precise calculation of the nucleon mass, taking into account the interactions between the quarks and gluons and their binding energy. By using this approach, scientists are able to better understand the structure and behavior of nucleons, leading to a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
Hello,

there are several papers on QCD in Hamiltonian formulation, especially in Coulomb gauge. Unfortunately the Hamiltonian H is rather formel and highly complex.

Question: is there a paper discussing the contribution of individual terms of H to the nucleon mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question about nucleon masses is rather complicated by itself, especially because it is a non-perturbative problem. I don't know if there is any simple way to related any term in the QCD Hamiltonian to the nucleon mass. I would say that the most relevant terms are the quark-gluon interaction and the gluon-gluon-gluon or gluon-gluon-gluon-gluon interactions. This is because the nucleon (or in general hadron) masses are mainly given by binding energy rather then the actual quark masses.

However, if you want a more phenomenological way of deriving (with a pretty good accuracy) the mass of the hadrons you can take a look at the "Constituent quark and spin-spin interaction" model. I think that the original reference should be:

http://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.12.147

However, there is a pretty good explanation of that in:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0412098v2.pdf

In section II.

I hope this is useful.

Einj said:
The question about nucleon masses is rather complicated by itself, especially because it is a non-perturbative problem. I don't know if there is any simple way to related any term in the QCD Hamiltonian to the nucleon mass. I would say that the most relevant terms are the quark-gluon interaction and the gluon-gluon-gluon or gluon-gluon-gluon-gluon interactions. This is because the nucleon (or in general hadron) masses are mainly given by binding energy rather then the actual quark masses.
Yes, I know.

What I am looking for us an analysis like

http://arxiv-web3.library.cornell.edu/pdf/1310.1797v1.pdf

for the nucleon mass.

1. What is the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD?

The Hamiltonian formulation of QCD (Quantum Chromodynamics) is a mathematical framework for describing the behavior of subatomic particles, specifically quarks and gluons, under the strong nuclear force. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and uses the Hamiltonian operator to describe the dynamics of the particles.

2. How does the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD differ from other formulations?

The Hamiltonian formulation of QCD is a non-perturbative approach, meaning it does not rely on approximations or perturbation theory. It also takes into account the confinement of quarks and the non-Abelian nature of the strong force, which are not included in other formulations such as the Lagrangian formulation of QCD.

3. What is the role of the nucleon mass in the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD?

The nucleon mass, which refers to the mass of protons and neutrons, is an important quantity in the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD. It is related to the strong force and the confinement of quarks within the nucleon, and is a key factor in understanding the structure and properties of the nucleus.

4. How is the nucleon mass calculated in the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD?

The nucleon mass is not directly calculated in the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD, but rather emerges as a result of the dynamics of quarks and gluons within the nucleon. It is a complex and ongoing area of research, with various theoretical and computational approaches being used to determine the precise value of the nucleon mass.

5. What are the current challenges in using the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD to study nucleon mass?

One of the major challenges in using the Hamiltonian formulation of QCD to study nucleon mass is the complexity of the calculations involved. The strong force is notoriously difficult to describe mathematically, and the non-perturbative nature of the Hamiltonian formulation makes it even more challenging. Additionally, incorporating the effects of quantum fluctuations and the contribution of virtual particles remains an active area of research.