Clarification Regarding the conditions for STP

by Conservation
Tags: clarification, conditions
Share this thread:
Conservation
Apr12-14, 11:00 AM
P: 30
Hello all,

I am currently in possession of two chemistry textbooks, Changs and Atkins, which I believe are both fairly new versions. Changs defines STP at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atm, and Atkins defines STP at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 bar; I understand that numerically it would not make a huge difference (1 atm=101.3 kpa=almost 100 kpa), but which is technically correct?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Seeing is bead-lieving: Scientists create model 'bead-spring' chains with tunable properties
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Borek
Apr12-14, 11:14 AM
Admin
P: 23,386
There is no one, universally accepted definition of STP. Bar is a recommended pressure for a standard state.
Yanick
Apr12-14, 04:45 PM
P: 380
Atmospheres were used for something like 100 years until "they" decided to switch standard pressure to 1 bar. Numerically they are nearly identical, obviously.

Ref: http://goldbook.iupac.org/S05921.html
(Getting a lot of mileage out of IUPAC today )

Register to reply